Not a surprising result at all -- felt like we were 55 percent to win, but needed a good start. 3-0 does not qualify as a good start. We showed good heart, but good heart is for losers.
1) It's time to really start facing the facts about what this team's record might end up being. We will be less than 50 percent to win most of our remaining games -- certainly GT, UNC, Clemson, UF and then around or only slightly above 50 percent for WAKE, NCSU and MD. If I could reset my win total I would say 5.5.
2) I think we had some major skill position weaknesses exposed today. We are one of the poorest YAC teams I've ever seen. Very rarely do our receivers in particular break the first tackle. Goodman and Easterling each cost us first downs early in the game with pathetic YAC attempts. I'm also wondering about all this great RB talen we have. Thomas missed obvious running lanes today, Ty Jones looked anemic vs. USF and Thomspon is a rag doll out there. We've got guys who can get open and catch, but our elusiveness seems sorely lacking.
3) All the Greg Reid worshippers need to understand that he is an immense talent, but very raw.
4) If you wanted to make a case for overhauling our defensive and an entire coaching regime, you could do so by using ONLY Korey Mangum as an example. He simply looked like a girl on that touchdown run. My daughter plays high school soccer and they still sometimes drawn their hands up and kind of turn their back when contact is imminent. That's what he looked like. I'm sure he's a fine person, but he's a terrible, terrible college football player.
5) What's really depressing about watching our games is knowing that even if we come back and win, it really doesn't change anything about the program. There are no "statement games" for us right now. Just small little fluctuations in an overall trend line that is inexorably heading downward. Winning or losing this game didn't mean a thing (unless the number of losses, or the nature of those losses pile up such that they cause regime change).
6) Ponder is really good. He wasn't real sharp today and still played great.