- Baseball Coach Mike Martin is deflecting attention from the Baseball team's poor play. Right now, the only thing missing is some guys in the outfield saying "too high. too high!" as another ball sails out of DHS. We'll have more on this later in the week. One of our Baseball contributors, evenflow58, had this to say: " Poor process but good result. You have to be proud of the way they fought though. Almost won the 2nd game in bonus ball and had a good come back against CU in the 3rd game. CU probably should have taken two of these games (speaking of looking at them before the series). Then again they are Clemson and are likely to underachieve or just be bad. Still need to cut down the errors but the K’s were down (I think we were below 10 K’s/9 innings) and pitchers walks were down but HBP was still up. Still a lot of work to be done but we have UMd next week and should get an easy sweep. I stress the word should."
According to an NBA scout, here are three prospects you might not have heard of but should keep an eye on:
1. Florida State senior point guard Toney Douglas: "He's a guy that can press into the first round because he can defend and score. Not a lot of guys can do that. He has risen his team to a high level by himself." HT: AC
- The 'Noles scrimmaged on Saturday. I spoke with someone who watched and the report was not good. Apparently we looked disorganized and somewhat lackadaisical. Maybe if the 'Noles had a head coach who knew where he was, the practice would run a bit smoother. Oh, and the players fought, which the coaches did not like.
- Bad news: The wideouts ran lazy routes, Ponder missed open guys deep, we had good protection, the defense was wildly undisciplined (as they have been since Amato came back), Vince Williams is wearing #11, Ty Jones did not look impressive at all. Jermaine Thomas left with a slight hip flexor.
- Good News: MacMaine (Jermaine Thomas' nickname) thinks he'll be back today. Hip issues are tricky. Marcus Simms looks like he will be an actual weapon. Justin Mincey at least looks a lot bigger. The offense threw deep a ton, and averaged over 20 yards per catch (7-15, 145, no td's, no picks). Though the wideout's routes lacked polish, and the receivers still do not have the rapport with Ponder that we want, they were physically impressive. There were no major injuries to report.
- I do not think anything serious will come of the Marcus White situation.
- FSU had Junior day on Saturday. They did not get any commitments, and we will have a great Wednesday Open Recruiting Thread-- just two days away.
- Non-FSU Note: All of the 1, 2, and 3 seeds in the NCAA tournament advanced to the sweet 16, meaning only 4 other teams reached the sweet 16 (4, 4, 5, and 12). The committee did an amazing job seeding teams. Further, all of the 1's and 2's are favored to advance to the elite 8 (though Oklahoma is only a marginal favorite over Syracuse).
- It's good to be back (was on spring break).