10. As they always do at their home games, the No. 13 Miami football team ran onto the field amidst a cloud of ceremonious smoke Saturday night. Little did they know, the smoke this time was coming from the candles on Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher's birthday cake.
9. "I'm very proud of our football team," Fisher said. "We played a complete football game in all three phases, which we knew we would have to do to beat a very good Miami team."
8. "They just flat outplayed us from the first quarter to the fourth," Miami linebacker Sean Spence said. "I'm embarrassed. You never want to lose like this, especially on your home field."
7. "They ran the ball down our throat," said linebacker Colin McCarthy, referencing FSU's 298 rushing yards. "They hit us with big plays early and often that killed us."
6. "It's a real great feeling. It's great to be in Florida State's history book. You know, that's not a real easy thing to do," said Chris Thompson about his career-long 90-yard touchdown which is now the third longest in school history. Only Larry Key's 97-yarder in 1976 and Sammie Smith's 95-yarder in 1987 were longer. It was also the longest run ever surrendered by the Hurricanes.
5. "I tell you what, winning's nice, but dadgum, that's cold," said Jimbo Fisher with a laugh after received his first dousing of ice water.
4. "I'm not going to sugarcoat it," Miami coach Randy Shannon said. "We got our butts whipped. We didn't come out and play. We weren't ready. Period. It's embarrassing."
3. "We're learning to play on the road and in a hostile environment," Fisher said. "They're maturing. But we have so much room to grow and finish. We're still leaving a lot out there on the field. We have to push and find those inches and keep clawing for everything. But I'm proud of them."
2. "We had to win the battles. We couldn't just throw it. [Miami has] too many athletes," FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said. "If you can run and throw, you have to do it. It creates a toughness for your football team. That's what we tried to do. Just because he's not throwing for 300 yards, doesn't mean he's not playing great football. He's unselfish. He's throwing for under 200 yards and he's the happiest guy on the football field."
1. "I had about 10 minutes in the locker room. That's it. We're going to prepare for the next team," said Jimbo Fisher when aked if he was able to savor the win.
1A. BONUS QUOTE courtesy of K-Man with this prelude: After all the years of well-documented heartbreak and agony against the University of Miami and their mystique, this quote from Jimbo Fisher was a refreshing dose of goodness in an all-around refreshing past 10 months:
"You knew they had too much pride and competitiveness to not come back. I told (the players at the half) I'm calling (plays) like it's 0-0. I'm going to be aggressive and we're going to march down the field".