The run defense should be vastly improved in 2010 for a few reasons.
1. We are going to be bigger and stronger at the Tackles then we were in 2009. Last year, we had McDaniel, McCray, Stewart, Dawkins and Thacker starting at DT. While this year, we'll have McDaniel, McCray, Dawkins, McCloud and McAllisters. Thacker and Stewart due to injuries and body type were never able to get the proper size. This year we have three legitimate one tech defensive tackles (McCray, McDaniel and McCloud) and three legitimate three tech defensive tackles (Dawkins, McAllister and McDaniel). I think McDaniel is quick enough to play the three and strong enough to play one. If we want to go big we can put McDaniel at the three and either McCloud or McCray at the one tech. Or we can move McDaniel to one and either Dawkins at the three tech we can quicker tandem that could shoot gaps and wreak havoc.
2. We'll play more zone allowing the Corners to help more in the run game. If we are playing man the corners can be blocked just by running a deep route. In a zone scheme the corners watch the receivers but are able to look into the backfield.
3. Moody is much better in run support then Mangum. Mangum was both slow and weak. Moody may not have the best hips in the world but he'll be asset in run support over Magnum. I'm not saying Moody won't miss an occasional tackle but he'll be an improvement. If Moody can be more consistent in pursuit and tackle with better technique he could be a force in run support.
4. The linebackers will be bigger and better able to take on blocks at the point of attack. In the past, we wouldn't allow linebacker to weigh more then 230 in most cases due our over reliance on speed. Now our LBs will be bigger and stronger so they will not have to run around blocks but take them on. When you run around blocks you create running lanes leading to big plays.
5. Our DEs will not have to crash inside to help our DTs on inside runs giving up containment. If our DEs are able to maintain outside containment it will allow the athleticism of our linebackers to shine.