Let's take a look at Florida State's offense against BYU's Defense. The Seminoles' attack dominated BYU up and down the field for 8.1 yards per play before garbage time, which is one of the best performances FSU has had in years. When a team moves the ball and it doesn't score you know the scores are coming. I'll have my thoughts on the offense, the defense, and the game tomorrow, but first will look at each play.
We should note that the offense had a few limitations going in. Christian Ponder sustained a deep triceps bruise in the second quarter against Oklahoma. It's preventing him from completely extending on a few throws. Ponder should be 100% by Miami (20 days) and will play against Wake and UVA. Andrew Datko was held out with his shoulder issue and was replaced at left tackle by Henry Orelus, who sprained his ankle later in the game.
Drive 1: 3 plays, 5 Yards, TOP 2:05. The "Jermaine Thomas the game starts at 3:30 not 3:45 drive"
- Fs 1-10 at Fs20 Thomas, J. rush for 5 yards to the FS25 (RICH, Andrew;FUGA, Romney).
- Fs 2-5 at Fs25 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Smith, R. for 4 yards to the FS29 (HUNTER, Shane). Play-action here as FSU slips Reliford out under a slant and an in. Accurate pass and nice catch in close quarters. Could have hit Reliford here too.
- Fs 3-1 at Fs29 Thomas, J. rush right for loss of 4 yards to the FS25. Thomas needs to hit this hard and not dance. Shows a lack of understanding of situational football. Situation dumb. Spurlock gets too high here and #55 (good player) blows him up.
- Fs 4-5 at Fs25 Powell, S. punt 54 yards to the BY21, CHAMBERS, O'Nei return 11 yards to the BY32 (Jenkins, B.), PENALTY BY illegal block 10 yards to the BY22, 1st and 10, BY ball on BY22. Quality punt.
Drive # 2: 6 plays, 54 yards, TOP: 2:34. Good drive that ended with some bad luck.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs34 Thomas, J. rush left for 4 yards to the FS38 (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 10:22. Good blocks by Lonnie Pryor and Henry Orelus. Jermaine Thomas again is tip-toeing through the tulips. He gets 4 here but didn't earn any of it.
- Fs 2-6 at Fs38 Ponder, C. slant pass incomplete to Reed, B. (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 10:00. Very tight coverage on Bert Reed. Throw hits Reed and flies into the air. Pass could have been better as could the catch attempt. Credit BYU.
- Fs 3-6 at Fs38 Ponder, C. rush QX for 15 yards to the BY47, 1ST DOWN FS (LEUNG-WAI, Aven), clock 09:50. BYU drops 8 men and everyone is covered. Don't love Ponder running here but it was the right thing to do.
- Fs 1-10 at By47 Ponder, C. deep in pass complete to Reed, B. for 22 yards to the BY25, 1ST DOWN FS, clock 09:20. BYU brings 4, Ponder 5-step drop, protection is good, great throw in-rhythm to Reed on the skinny post. Tight window and he got it there even though he pushed it due to the arm injury.
- Fs 1-10 at By25 Ponder, C. rush left for 1 yard to the BY24 (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 08:40. 4-wide look here. Ponder loses his mouthpiece and with the clock running down he pitches it aside. That pitch was better than the one he didn't make on this play. Ponder doesn't read the option stuff very well and probably should cut this play back for 2 or 3. Orelus doesn't block it very well and needs to move his feet.
- Fs 2-9 at By24 Ponder, C. screen pass complete to Reed, B. for 7 yards to the BY17, fumble forced by RICH, Andrew, fumble by Reed, B. recovered by BY HUNTER, Shane at BY12. This is a great grab by Bert Reed, a goofy throw by Christian Ponder, and some bad luck to have the ball stay inbounds. Love the play-action design on the screen. Reed mus put this ball in his outside arm. Lack of discipline and attention to detail there though I bet he does tuck it if he doesn't have to make the circus catch.
Inside, find drives 3-9
Drive #3: 10 plays, 62 yards, 4:49 3-0 FSU. Nice drive for FSU finally yields points.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs30 Ponder, C. deep in pass complete to Reed, B. for 20 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN FS (THOMAS, Steven), clock 05:11. 4-wide for FSU, BYU brings 4, 2-deep coverage. Ponder hits Reed on a nice post route. Great job of concentrating all the way to the ground by Reed. Play-action holds the backer which gives the throwing lane. Protection was solid.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs50 Thomas, J. rush over right guard for 4 yards to the BY46 (RICH, Andrew), clock 04:35. Thomas played this game with his head in the clouds. Way too much tiptoeing and he would eventually get yanked for it. This play should have gone for 7 or 8. Great job by Zebrie to pick up the backer, but it was wasted because Thomas decided he wasn't going to run hard. When the line opens a lane like that the back needs to cash it in. Thomas was yanked after that though Fisher said it was an injury.
- Fs 2-6 at By46 Ponder, C. rush over left end for 9 yards to the BY37, 1ST DOWN FS (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 03:55. Trips left run. Back left. QB sweep left. Nice block by Jones who was subbed in after twinkle-toes Thomas got yanked. Hope this was a check and not a call.
- Fs 1-10 at By37 Jones, T. rush over right tackle for 13 yards to the BY24, 1ST DOWN FS (THOMAS, Steven), clock 03:22. Ty Jones shows Jermaine Thomas what is supposed to happen when the offensive line blows open a hole. Should note that BYU's backside mike backer plays this really poorly.
- Fs 1-10 at By24 Pryor, L. rush up middle for 5 yards to the BY19 (FUGA, Romney;LEUNG-WAI, Aven), clock 03:01. I-form, send out Thompson to the flat, hand to Pryor. Nice quick blocking. Pryor doesn't dance.
- Fs 2-5 at By19 Jones, T. rush over right guard for 6 yards to the BY13, 1ST DOWN FS (RICH, Andrew), clock 02:31. Inside-zone to the right from I. BYU fast flows to the strength and Jones doesn't screw around, makes his read and cuts it back to the backside a-gap. "Slow to the hole, fast through the hole". Nice cut on the backside by Hudson.
- Fs 1-10 at By13 Jones, T. rush over left end for 2 yards to the BY11 (PENDLETON, Jord;RICH, Andrew), clock 01:47. Don't love how this was blocked. BYU strung it out well and Reliford didn't really do much. The DE crashed down really hard and took away the cutback.
- Fs 2-8 at By11 Ponder, C. rush QX for 3 yards to the BY8 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 01:12. Spurlock with a poor block here. His feet are too close together and he lets a 290-lber spin him. Ponder has to scramble away. Awful job by Spurlock.
- Fs 3-5 at By08 Ponder, C. crossing pass incomplete to Smith, R., clock 00:39. K-Gun look. Rodney Smith is 6'6" and Ponder overthrows him in the endzone. Poor job by Ponder there. I have to wonder if the triceps thing prevented him from pulling hard on the ball to keep it from sailing. Nice route by Smith. Ponder will hit him on that later in the year. If Spurlock would block #55 and move his feet perhaps Ponder can wait a half second for Smith to completely clear the backer and then he could lay it in there easier to Smith.
- Fs 4-5 at By08 Hopkins, D. field goal attempt from 26 GOOD, clock 00:36.
Drive #4: 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:37
- Fs 1-10 at Fs48 Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 4 yards to the FS44 (MANUMALEUNA, Ea), clock 13:35. Ponder tries to buy more time and is looking deep but runs into the back of Zebrie Sanders. Kudos for looking downfield, but that's poor pocket awareness.
- Fs 2-14 at Fs44 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 2 yards to the FS46 (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 12:54. Bubble screen, well thrown, Taiwan Easterling misses his block. Rodney Smith made his. Need both blocks.
- Fs 3-12 at Fs46 Ponder, C. deep-in pass incomplete to Smith, R. (SO'OTO, Vic), clock 12:20. Tipped at the line of scrimmage. Protection was ok. Protection was ok. BYU dropped 8 into coverage.
- Fs 4-12 at Fs46 Powell, S. punt 37 yards to the BY17, out-of-bounds. Nice punt. Inside the 20 out of bounds.
Drive #5: 4 plays, -9 yards, TOP 1:24 6-0 Noles The "MWC officials will work for free" drive.
- Fs 1-10 at By20 Jones, T. rush up middle for 6 yards to the BY14 (FUGA, Romney), clock 10:51. Double-tights, motion Willie Haulstead. Inside zone play, Haulstead, Hudson, and McMahon all with nice blocks. Jones makes the quick read and gets 6. Henry Orelus did a nice job moving his feet.
- Fs 2-4 at By14 Ponder, C. rush left for 5 yards to the BY9, out-of-bounds (LOGAN, Brian), PENALTY FS illegal block 15 yards to the BY29, NO PLAY, clock 10:29. Incorrect call! FSU is in 4-wide gun doubles. QB sweep. Orelus gets his block and the linebacker comes to fill on his outside shoulder. Ty Jones cuts him. The ref thinks Jones cut the guy Orelus was blocking but it just wasn't the case. Two different blocks, two different men. This penalty killed FSU's drive, but I can excuse it a bit because it was quite close when he comes off his block.
- Fs 2-19 at By29 Ponder, C. crossing pass incomplete to Reed, B. (HUNTER, Shane), clock 10:08. Another awful no-call! Ponder throws the ball to Reed deep, it's tipped, and BYU's safety rips Reed's helmet off! See here. A ridiculous no-call. Fisher went nuts on the refs here, as he should. FSU hasn't had a head coach who knew what was going on during a play in years.
- Fs 3-19 at By29 Ponder, C. deep out pass incomplete to Haulstead, W., clock 10:00. Tough play. BYU covers this very well. Ponder throws a strike on the out after scrambling around a bit. Haulstead catches it in very tight coverage but he can't get his foot down. FSU would have reviewed this but the pass was for 15 not 19 so it would have still been a 4th down even if a successful challenge.
- Fs 4-19 at By29 Hopkins, D. field goal attempt from 47 GOOD, clock 09:56. Hopkins is an excellent kicker.
Drive #6: 1 play, 83 yards, TOP: 0:14 13-0 FSU
- Fs 1-10 at Fs17 Thompson, C. rush left for 83 yards to the BY0, 1ST DOWN FS, TOUCHDOWN, clock 07:40. Hopkins, D. kick attempt good. Beautifully blocked play. FSU is in the "pony" formation with 2 backs and 3 wides from the gun. This is an outside zone to Chris Thompson with Lonnie Pryor lead blocking. The line actually wasn't all that impressive here. Pryor gets an excellent cut on the backer and Rodney Smith with some nice blocking on the edge. Good patience and vision by Thompson and after he bursts through the first level it is all speed.
Drive #7: 3 plays, 9 yards, TOP 02:10
- Fs 1-10 at Fs20 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Easterling, T. for 6 yards to the FS26 (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 04:04. Bubble from the k-gun look off play-action to the short side. Blocking is ok by Rodney Smith.
- Fs 2-4 at Fs26 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 2 yards to the FS28 (LOGAN, Brian), clock 03:28. Bubble to Reed, good block Rodney Smith, and a mixup on the block read by Reed.
- Fs 3-2 at Fs28 Ponder, C. rush left for 1 yard to the FS29 (PENDLETON, Jord;LOGAN, Brian), clock 02:45. This play was a mess. Blocking was poor and Ponder didn't read the blocks well at all.
- Fs 4-1 at Fs29 Powell, S. punt 50 yards to the BY21, CHAMBERS, O'Nei return 8 yards to the BY29 (Revell, C.). Nice punt and good coverage for a 42-yard net.
Drive #8: 14 plays, 63 yards, TOP 6:53 FSU 20, BYU 10
- Fs 1-10 at Fs37 Ponder, C. rush over left tackle for 5 yards to the FS42 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 13:54. Ponder checks this to a QB sweep, I think. FSU has the numbers advantage. Christian needs to slide and not dive.
- Fs 2-5 at Fs42 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Reed, B. for 11 yards to the BY47, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (LOGAN, Brian), clock 13:29. Play-action gun boot to Bert. Quality fake and Bert is open. Accurate pass.
- Fs 1-10 at By47 Ponder, C. deep pass incomplete to Little, J., clock 13:03. Ponder needs to get a deep drop here. Spurlock doesn't block this worth a damn. But Jabarris Little runs a good route on the two-seam stuff, but he looks over the wrong shoulder! This could be a big play.
- Fs 2-10 at By47 Ponder, C. rush QX for 3 yards to the BY44, out-of-bounds, clock 12:55. Defensive end doesn't bite on the play-action fake and is on Ponder too quickly for him to throw it. Good scramble and good job not getting hit.
- Fs 3-7 at By44 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Reed, B. for 8 yards to the BY36, 1ST DOWN FS (HUNTER, Shane), clock 12:28. 4-wides. Good protection and accurate ball on the crossing route. Guy was open deeper but Reed was first read here.
- Fs 1-10 at By36 Jones, T. rush left for 11 yards to the BY25, 1ST DOWN FS (LOGAN, Brian;RICH, Andrew), clock 11:58. Out-side zone from the I. Tremendous blocking by Beau Reliford and Lonnie Pryor. Good effort from Ty Jones.
- Fs 1-10 at By25 Jones, T. rush over right tackle for 1 yard to the BY24 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 11:26. Well blocked inside zone play. Jones doesn't read this well and could have cut it back for a 24-yard TD. Excellent blocking by Haulstead.
- Fs 2-9 at By24 Ponder, C. rush QX for 10 yards to the BY14, 1ST DOWN FS (PENDLETON, Jord), clock 10:54. Play-action on the WR reach. This is just bad luck. BYU blitzes and gets very lucky to press the gap that was vacated. Ponder's legs are excellent.
- Fs 1-10 at By14 Thompson, C. rush over right guard for 2 yards to the BY12 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 10:19. McMahon-Hudson don't climb to the backer here and that takes away the cutback lane. Thompson gets 2 here but if McMahon hits the backer this goes for 10.
- Fs 2-8 at By12 Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 4 yards to the BY16 (MANUMALEUNA, E ;PENDLETON, Jord), clock 09:34. Orelus gets beat on an inside move on a 5-step drop. Sack. BYU dropped 8.
- Fs 3-12 at By16 Ponder, C. post pass complete to Smith, R. for 14 yards to the BY2, 1ST DOWN FS, clock 09:02. Ponder floats this ball over the linebacker to Rodney Smith on the deep in. 4 man rush protection was good.
- Fs 1-G at By02 Jones, T. rush over right tackle for no gain to the BY2 (RICH, Andrew), clock 08:20. Poor block by Spurlock. Disappointing because McMahon and Hudson get great blocks.
- Fs 2-G at By02 Jones, T. rush over right guard for no gain to the BY2 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 07:45. Poor job by Hudson as he gets too wide on his pull and the defender sneaks under him.
- Fs 3-G at By02 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Jones, T. for 2 yards to the BY0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 07:16. Difficult throw here for Ponder but he makes it with good touch on play-action. Good job by Ty to catch the ball with two hands and get down.
Drive #9: 4 plays, 86 yards, 1:37 FSU 27, BYU 10
- Fs 1-10 at Fs14 Thompson, C. rush left for 31 yards to the FS45, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (BRADLEY, Brando), PENALTY BY personal foul (BRADLEY, Brando) 15 yards to the BY40, 1ST DOWN FS, clock 02:22. Outside zone here. Nice job by Beau Reliford of moving the feet. Excellent block by Orelus. Nice job by Smith of staying with the block. Chris Thompson with good hard running after contact.
- Fs 1-10 at By40 1st and 10. Fs 1-10 at By40 Ponder, C. deep pass complete to Haulstead, W. for 34 yards to the BY6, 1ST DOWN FS (BRADLEY, Brando), clock 01:53. This is a quick back-shoulder fade throw. Some pressure in Ponder's face. Excellent job by Haulstead to high-point the ball and catch it while jumping.
- Fs 1-G at By06 Jones, T. rush right for 5 yards to the BY1 (JORGENSEN, Aust), clock 01:22. Tremendous block by Beau Reliford. Tough running by TY Jones on the stretch play. Poor initial block by Rodney Smith.
- Fs 2-G at By01 Ponder, C. rush quarterback sneak for 1 yard to the BY0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:55.
The game was officially in "garbage time" at this point so I am not analyzing the final two drives.