I'm sure by now you've read Florida State Film Review: Seminoles' Offense v. BYU's Defense. Now we turn to the defense. FSU's 2.7 yards per play allowed to BYU was the lowest total in 53 games. If you click the drive chart, you'll see that in the 55 competitive plays BYU ran, it compiled only 3.5 yards per play. That's excellent. FSU allowed drives of 71, 49, 20, 19, 17, 12, 6,6 , 4, and 3 yards. See the drive chart for more.
We will have more on the game tonight. Here is a comprehensive look at each defensive play in Florida State's 34-10 over BYU. The only one of its kind anywhere.
Drive #1: 3 plays, 4 yards, 2:15 A great opening defensive series.
- By 1-10 at By22 NELSON, Riley sideline pass complete to HOFFMAN, Cody for 1 yard to the BY23, out-of-bounds (Reid, G.). Markus White with a nice inside move here and good pressure from all 4 guys. Better recognition of the sideline stuff by Reid.
- By 2-9 at By23 DI LUIGI, JJ rush left for 4 yards to the BY27 (Rhodes, X.) Nice fill by Bradham to take on the guard and bounce the play. Good moves by the Italian back for BYU.
- By 3-5 at By27 NELSON, Riley sacked for loss of 1 yard to the BY26 (Rhodes, X.) FSU runs a stunt with Dawkins and Jenkins. Doesn't get there but Jacobbi McDaniel and White bring good pressure. Rhodes excellent leg drive. He earned that sack with the cleanup but credit Jacobbi McDaniel.
- By 4-6 at By26 STEPHENSON, Ril punt 54 yards to the FS20, Reid, G. return 14 yards to the FS34 (HUNTER, Shane).
Drive #2: 5 plays, 6 yards, 2:34. Nice defensive drive here that could have been perfect had not lined up off-sides.
- By 1-10 at By12 HEAPS, Jake WS pass complete to HOFFMAN, Cody for 4 yards to the BY16, clock 07:55. FSU showing very little respect for BYU's wideouts. Nice throw on the short slant. FSU in the 8-man front very tight against 2-1 personnel.
- By 2-6 at By16 DI LUIGI, JJ rush left for 3 yards to the BY19 (Bradham, N.), PENALTY FS offside 5 yards to the BY21, NO PLAY. Hurry-up catches FSU off guard. Cannot have that and must be further corrected.
- By 2-1 at By21 DI LUIGI, JJ rush up middle for 4 yards to the BY25, 1ST DOWN BY (White, M.), clock 07:20. Awful job by Dawkins and McDaniel here. Looks like they might have wanted to stunt on the right side. Very poor reaction time by everyone.
- By 1-10 at By25 HEAPS, Jake WS pass incomplete to HAFOKA, Spencer, clock 06:59. Excellent coverage by Xavier Rhodes. A bit out of control perhaps at the end but very good nonetheless. 3-step drop quick throw slant.
- By 2-10 at By25 HEAPS, Jake WS pass complete to ASHWORTH, Luke for loss of 1 yard to the BY24 (Alexander, M.), clock 06:41. Poor blocking on the bubble screen but give Mister Alexander credit here after playing poorly last week he quickly diagnosed, ran to the football, and made a fundamental tackle. Good hustle by Markus White and others as well. FSU is willing to play Alexander wider against the trips look now (he used to be a safety).
- By 3-11 at By24 HEAPS, Jake sacked for loss of 6 yards to the BY18 (White, M.), fumble by HEAPS, Jake recovered by BY BROWN, Braden at BY18. Tremendous jump off the ball by Markus White (best I've seen out of him in a while) as he blows by the tackle. Young QB should have stepped up to make the sack harder, but White would have had him anyway. Coverage was good (believe it was cover-3 with Harley covering the flats as a nickel linebacker).
- By 4-17 at By18 STEPHENSON, Ril punt 52 yards to the FS30, Reid, G. return 0 yards to the FS30. These MWC refs were terrible all day. Cut-rate conference brings cut-rate officials. Reid was pointing at a blocker not calling fair catch! And beside, the ball bounced!
Inside, find drives #3-10
Drive #3: 6 plays, 19 yards, TOP: 1:41
- By 1-10 at By24 NELSON, Riley sideline pass incomplete to JACOBSON, McKay. This ball wasn't an interception and McKay should have caught it on the 3-step drop. But credit Kendal Smith for great hustle.
- By 2-10 at By24 DI LUIGI, JJ rush left for 1 yard to the BY25, out-of-bounds (Reid, G.), clock 00:12. 4-wide gun for BYU. Speed option. Brandon Jenkins does a great job to force the pitch early from his end position. Excellent recognition by Kendal Smith to elude the block of the guard and chase the play. Parks great hustle. Rhodes cleans it up. Great team defense.
- By 3-9 at By25 Start of 2nd quarter, clock 15:00. PENALTY FS offside (Jenkins, B.) 5 yards to the BY30. BYU's center was doing some weird rocking motion all day, but Jenkins must play with better discipline.
- By 3-4 at By30 NELSON, Riley rush quarterback draw for 9 yards to the BY39, 1ST DOWN BY (Harley, J.), clock 14:53. Delayed QB draw. McCloud and McDaniel don't get off blocks.
- By 1-10 at By39 KARIYA, Bryan rush over right guard for 4 yards to the BY43 (White, M.), clock 14:22. White is off balance and the nose guard gets handled on a double-team.
- By 2-6 at By43 NELSON, Riley crossing pass incomplete to HAFOKA, Spencer (Rhodes, X.), clock 13:57. 3-step drop. Xavier Rhodes with a tremendous play on the quick pass. He explodes off his outside foot to recover on the slant, reaches in with the left arm, and doesn't use right arm!
- By 3-6 at By43 NELSON, Riley sideline pass intercepted by Rhodes, X. at the FS46, Rhodes, X. return 2 yards to the FS48 (DI LUIGI, JJ). Another quick pass. Mike Harris with an athletic play to tip it and Rhodes with an aware play to catch it. Poor throw by the QB.
Drive #4 2 plays, 3 yards, TOP 0:53
- By 1-10 at By17 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right guard for 8 yards to the BY25 (Smith, K.;Bradham, N.), clock 11:52. Demonte McAllister (I think) really blows this one as he crashes down the line which opens an enormous hole for BYU to run through. Linebackers can't get off blocks there and shouldn't be expected to given the unimpeded nature of the linemen.
- By 2-2 at By25 KARIYA, Bryan rush over right guard for 1 yard to the BY26 (Alexander, M.;Bradham, N.), PENALTY BY false start 5 yards to the BY20, NO PLAY. Though a false start, excellent job by Dawkins and McCloud to stack up this iso run.
- By 2-7 at By20 NELSON, Riley sacked for loss of 3 yards to the BY17 (Jenkins, B.), fumble by NELSON, Riley recovered by FS White, M. at BY20. BYU comes out in 4-wide trips. FSU plays this very well. DT Everett Dawkins and DE White run a stunt, which frees Dawkins. That chases the QB left in the pocket. Nobody is open as FSU did an excellent job of disguising coverage pre-snap and then playing something else. There's nowhere to go with the ball and Jenkins ends up with a sack and forced fumble after being blocked for almost the entire play. Credit McCloud as well for collapsing the pocket. Excellent defense all around.
Drive #5: 4 plays, 20 yards TOP: 2:02
- By 1-10 at By20 HEAPS, Jake crossing pass complete to CHAMBERS, O'Nei for 15 yards to the BY35, 1ST DOWN BY (Moody, N.), clock 09:48. Excellent throw on a deep dig. As I said in the preview, FSU needs to make Heaps beat them over the middle. Often he could not, but he did there. Moody perhaps a bit late in coverage but is immediately on the tackle. Amp McCloud gets no push up the middle and it looks almost as if he took this play off.
- By 1-10 at By35 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over left guard for no gain to the BY35 (Bradham, N.), clock 09:09. McCloud and Dawkins are only average here but Nigel Bradham diagnoses it very well, as does Vince Williams, and both shoot the B gap to make the tackle.
- By 2-10 at By35 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass incomplete to JACOBSON, McKay (Reid, G.), clock 08:45. After taking the first play of the series off, Anthony McCloud gets great pressure up the middle forcing a high throw. Reid almost comes up with the pick in tight coverage.
- By 3-10 at By35 HEAPS, Jake screen pass complete to KARIYA, Bryan for 5 yards to the BY40 (Bradham, N.), clock 08:29. Pressure is good, but QB avoids it by sliding in the pocket. Flare out to the speedy Kariya, but Bradham is step for step, takes a good angle, and makes the tackle. Xavier Rhodes seems to be telling the trainer about his hip issue here.
- By 4-5 at By40 STEPHENSON, Ril punt 43 yards to the FS17, out-of-bounds. Incredible punt again.
Drive #6 7 plays, 49 yards, 04:26 13-3 FSU
- By 1-10 at By40 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right guard for 21 yards to the FS39, 1ST DOWN BY (Parks, T.), clock 07:33. Hopkins flubs the kickoff out of bounds which is awful. FSU was in a 3-4 look here and took some awful angles on this draw play and didn't get off blocks. Weird stunting too.
- By 1-10 at Fs39 KARIYA, Bryan rush up middle for 3 yards to the FS36 (Jenkins, B.;Bradham, N.), clock 06:46. 2-TE I form for BYU. The refs give him 3 but this play was well stacked up by McDaniel and cleaned up by Smith.
- By 2-7 at Fs36 DI LUIGI, JJ rush right for 6 yards to the FS30, out-of-bounds, PENALTY FS personal foul (Joyner, L.) 15 yards to the FS15, 1ST DOWN BY, clock 06:11. Markus White is held here and BYU gets the edge. Lamarcus Joyner is flagged for the personal foul which was marginal and not flagrant.
- By 1-10 at Fs15 1st and 10. By 1-10 at Fs15 PENALTY BY false start (BROWN, Terence) 5 yards to the FS20. Crowd finally got into it. Refs finally call BYU for the snapping nonsense.
- By 1-15 at Fs20 KARIYA, Bryan rush up middle for 7 yards to the FS13 (Smith, K.;Moody, N.), clock 05:26. McDaniel plays this very well with a great punch on the center but the back just gets by him. Smith and Bradham are very slow reacting here.
- By 2-8 at Fs13 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right guard for 2 yards to the FS11 (Smith, K.), clock 05:00. Dawkins holds his ground reasonably well. Markus White with excellent technique to stone the blocker and push him into the backfield. McDaniel and Smith get good penetration.
- By 3-6 at Fs11 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass incomplete to KARIYA, Bryan, clock 04:31. BYU motions to trips in the gun to the wide side and tries to throw a short side screen. This is well designed by BYU but the throw is a bit rushed and off target and isn't caught. Bradham was out there and he would have made the tackle before the TD, but likely not before the first down.
- By 4-6 at Fs11 PAYNE, Mitch field goal attempt from 28 GOOD, clock 04:26.
Drie #7 11 plays, 71 yards, TOP 2:00 13-10 FSU
- By 1-10 at By29 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right end for 20 yards to the BY49, 1ST DOWN BY, out-of-bounds (Joyner, L.), clock 02:03. Gun-lead draw for BYU. Dawkins jumps out of his gap and is washed down. Bradham slow to diagnose and is on skates. Nick Moody late to come down. Joyner doesn't do well fighting off the block.
- By 1-10 at By49 HEAPS, Jake crossing pass complete to DI LUIGI, JJ for 12 yards to the FS39, 1ST DOWN BY (Bradham, N.), clock 01:50. 2 backs 3 wide gun. 3-step drop. DLine gets nothing. Dumps it off on an angle route to the back. Bradham and Williams don't take great angles.
- By 1-10 at Fs39 KARIYA, Bryan rush over left tackle for 4 yards to the FS35 (McDaniel, J.), clock 01:30. No huddle here. McDaniel does a nice job to stack his guard but Williams and Bradham don't play this well at all.
- By 2-6 at Fs35 HEAPS, Jake deep in pass incomplete to HOFFMAN, Cody, clock 01:10. 3-4 look in response to BYU's trips gun look off no-huddle, FSU brings pressure. Nice job to dial up pressure from a different front off no-huddle. Good coaching. Greg Reid does a very nice job to separate receiver from ball. Could have been a big play. Blitz wasn't well executed. Vince Williams missed his gap I think.
- By 3-6 at Fs35 (Reid, G.). By 3-6 at Fs35 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass complete to ASHWORTH, Luke for 7 yards to the FS28, 1ST DOWN BY (Joyner, L.), clock 01:05. Well thrown ball and a good route on the comeback. Looked like cover 2. Joyner came up and made the tackle but the play was done.
- By 1-10 at Fs28 HEAPS, Jake screen pass complete to HAGUE, Mike for 13 yards to the FS15, 1ST DOWN BY, out-of-bounds (Harris, M.), clock 00:39. Play-action to the flats. Joyner follows the tight end when he needs to be wider. Back sneaks out underneath the freshman.
- By 1-10 at Fs15 PENALTY FS offside (McAllister, D.) 5 yards to the FS10. Hard count by BYU which was unexpected but poor discipline here by FSU.
- By 1-5 at Fs10 HEAPS, Jake TR pass incomplete to ASHWORTH, Luke, clock 00:35. Quick drop on the fade. Tremendous job by Lamarcus Joyner to work the receiver out of bounds and then swat the ball away.
- By 2-5 at Fs10 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right end for 6 yards to the FS4, 1ST DOWN BY (White, M.), clock 00:29. Poor job of run support by Nick Moody. He is late diagnosing, then rushes in out of control and misses the tackle.
- 1-G at Fs04 DI LUIGI, JJ rush left for no gain to the FS4 (Reid, G.). Tremendous job by Mister Alexander and Brandon Jenkins to string this out and Greg Reid cleans it up.
- By 2-G at Fs04 Timeout Brigham Young, clock 00:23. By 2-G at Fs04 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over left guard for no gain to the FS4 (Moody, N.). Excellent work by McDaniel and Dawkins inside to clog up this trap and Nick Moody with the excellent hole fill.
- By 3-G at Fs04 HEAPS, Jake crossing pass complete to HOFFMAN, Cody for 4 yards to the FS0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:14. Injured player for BYU is #70-Reynolds. PAYNE, Mitch kick attempt good. I have no idea how the ref misses the hold on Everett Dawkins. Tremendous rush there by Dawkins and that was a takedown. Deep post beat Moody.
Drive #8: 3 plays, 6 yards, TOP 0:51
- By 1-10 at By20 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right guard for 6 yards to the BY26 (Alexander, M.), clock 14:45. There's a natural bubble there out of that formation. Good call by BYU. Alexander late to the ball.
- By 2-4 at By26 HEAPS, Jake deep pass incomplete to JACOBSON, McKay, clock 14:21. Cover 3 for the defense. Go route for the offense. Great pressure from Dawkins, Jenkins, White, and McDaniel. Collapses the pocket on the 5-step drop and forces a moon ball.
- By 3-4 at By26 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass incomplete to HOFFMAN, Cody, clock 14:17. Poor throw on the quick out by Heaps.
- By 4-4 at By26 STEPHENSON, Ril punt 37 yards to the FS37, out-of-bounds.
Drive #9: 9 plays, 17 yards TOP 6:51 20-10 FSU
- By 1-10 at By20 KARIYA, Bryan rush draw play for 3 yards to the BY23 (Moody, N.), clock 06:58. Dawkins guessed a gap here on the draw play, Bradham allows himself to be cut, and Moody cleans up a play FSU should have smothered for 0 or 1. Dan Hicks needs to fight off his block better.
- By 2-7 at By23 HEAPS, Jake middle pass complete to DI LUIGI, JJ for 8 yards to the BY31, 1ST DOWN BY (Smith, K.), clock 06:42. Not much rush up front. Kendal Smith with the good tackle on the short gain.
- By 1-10 at By31 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass complete to JACOBSON, McKay for 6 yards to the BY37, clock 06:08. Hicks-McDaniel straight rush no pressure. Dawkins-White twist no pressure. Very nice throw by Heaps.
- By 2-4 at By37 HEAPS, Jake middle pass complete to KARIYA, Bryan for 5 yards to the BY42, 1ST DOWN BY (Smith, K.), clock 05:57. No pressure again and Heaps hits his back in the short no-cover zone.
- By 1-10 at By42 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over right end for 4 yards to the BY46 (McDaniel, J.), clock 05:24. FSU played this quite well, but McDaniel coming from behind pushed him forward for 2 yards.
- By 2-6 at By46 HEAPS, Jake WS pass complete to HOFFMAN, Cody for 3 yards to the BY49 (Reid, G.), clock 04:53. Quick comeback. Ball is high for the receiver and that allows Greg to make a good tackle. A better ball here is probably a 5-yard gain.
- By 3-3 at By49 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass complete to ASHWORTH, Luke for 2 yards to the FS49 (Harris, M.), PENALTY FS offside (White, M.) 5 yards to the FS46, 1ST DOWN BY, NO PLAY, clock 04:21. Markus White jumped offsides. But what a hit by Mike Harris on the out route! Tremendously encouraging play.
- By 1-10 at Fs46 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass incomplete to HAFOKA, Spencer, clock 04:10. Fisher was extra angry at White here and put in Bjoern Werner (#95) who will be All-ACC at least one year I think. Tremendous pressure by McDaniel (I think, maybe McCloud) in Heaps' face. Tight coverage.
- By 2-10 at Fs46 DI LUIGI, JJ rush over left tackle for loss of 3 yards to the FS49 (Dawkins, E.), clock 03:55. Dawkins is way, way too quick off the ball and then has an excellent swim over the guard to blow this play up.
- By 3-13 at Fs49 HEAPS, Jake sacked for loss of 14 yards to the BY37 (Dawkins, E.), clock 03:06. Werner blows the tackle into the QB, then gets held badly, the QB runs right into Dawkins who is coming around on a stunt.
- By 4-27 at By37 STEPHENSON, Ril punt 55 yards to the FS8, Reid, G. return 6 yards to the FS14 (MENDENHALL, Zek), clock 02:32.
Drive #10: 6 plays, 12 yards, TOP 2:15 27-10 FSU
- By 1-10 at By20 DI LUIGI, JJ rush right for 1 yard to the BY21 (Werner, B.), clock 00:35. Great job by McCloud to crush his man and bounce this run outside. Werner cleans it up. Werner might have gone too flat here but did stop his blocker.
- By 2-9 at By21 DI LUIGI, JJ rush up middle for 4 yards to the BY25 (McCloud, A.), clock 00:09. Defensive linemen guessing at gaps here in a blitz look. Bradham and McCloud with the cleanup. Not a good play.
- By 3-5 at By25 Start of 4th quarter, clock 15:00. HEAPS, Jake middle pass complete to DI LUIGI, JJ for 16 yards to the BY41, 1ST DOWN BY (Bradham, N.), clock 14:54. Really good pressure by the stunt of Brandon Jenkins & Demonte McAllister. JaJuan Harley goes for the interception from his nickel backer spot, but he is very late as Heaps shows off his arm. Big gainer was unnecessary.
- By 1-10 at By41 HEAPS, Jake sideline pass incomplete to ASHWORTH, Luke, clock 14:34. Bad throw on the quick out.
- By 2-10 at By41 HEAPS, Jake deep in pass incomplete to CHAMBERS, O'Nei, clock 14:29. No real pressure but FSU dropped 7 and the throw was behind Chambers on the deep in.
- By 3-10 at By41 HEAPS, Jake sacked for loss of 9 yards to the BY32 (Jenkins, B.), clock 14:11. What a move by Jenkins here as he fakes like he is going to spin and then dips the shoulder to speed by the left tackle. Also, nice pressure by McDaniel.
At this point, the game was over so I am not analyzing further because it is officially in "garbage time."