Here's the drive chart from non-garbage time:
|Spot||How End||Potential||Gained||Plays||% Of Potential Yards Allowed||Yards/Play||3-Out Forced||Explosive Drive?|
|708||120||47||17%||2.6||6 of 9 (66%)||0% (0 of 9)|
Florida State's defense had the top performance among teams playing other BCS conference teams:
1. Eastern Michigan (vs. Ohio State): 0.027
2. Ball State (vs. Iowa): 0.191
3. Wake Forest (vs. Florida State): 0.251
4. San Jose State (vs. Utah): 0.322
5. Western Kentucky (vs. South Florida): 0.356
Only one major-conference victim on this list: Wake Forest. Florida State completely stymied the not-as-confusing-as-they-used-to-be Demon Deacons.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf20 Adams, J rush left for 3 yards to the WF23 (McDaniel, J.), clock 14:46. Read of the DT. McDaniel plays it ok. Bradham average.
- Wf 2-7 at Wf23 Adams, J rush left for 14 yards to the WF37, 1ST DOWN WF, out-of-bounds (Rhodes, X.), clock 14:23. Delayed counter draw with guard action away. Nicely designed play by Wake. Moody takes a poor angle and is too eager to fill the hole. Bradham nice fill!
- Wf 1-10 at Wf37 Adams, J rush over right guard for 3 yards to the WF40 (Dawkins, E.), clock 13:51. Back-side zone-read. Jacobbi plays the double nicely but Dawkins is slow to recognize. Seems the whole defense was being slow and careful to open up.
- Wf 2-7 at Wf40 Brown, D rush up middle for 4 yards to the WF44, out-of-bounds (Reid, G.), PENALTY WF holding (Looney, J) 10 yards to the WF34, clock 13:15. Hard to tell what happened here (TV angle). Option with a fly sweep. One of the linebackers is out of place, perhaps because of holding.
- Wf 2-13 at Wf34 Price, T screen pass complete to Adams, J for 11 yards to the WF45 (White, M.), clock 12:55. Good recognition by Bradham and McDaniel. The rest of the DL exploded off the ball. Moody must come up and stop this quicker. His recognition here was awful. Good Hustle by White.
- Wf 3-2 at Wf45 Adams, J rush left for no gain to the WF45 (Dawkins, E.;Moody, N.), clock 12:35. Zone read. Excellent job of coming off low and controlling the blocker by Brandon Jenkins and Everett Dawkins.
- Wf 4-2 at Wf45 Popham, S punt 41 yards to the FS14, Reid, G. return 0 yards to the FS14 (Quarles, C). Reckless return by Greg. Let it go OOB there.
- Drive: 6 plays, 25 yards, TOP 02:57 Wake had a nice script and the defense was tentative early.
Inside, find the other 8 drives.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf07 Pendergrass, B rush over left end for loss of 1 yard to the WF6 (Jenkins, B.), clock 02:46. Great discipline by Amp McCloud and Brandon Jenkins on the counter draw.
- Wf 2-11 at Wf06 Price, T sideline pass incomplete to Givens, C, clock 02:35. No huddle, FSU gets lined up right. Poor job by the QB takes too long to throw the quick in the flat. Reid comes up quickly. Bad throw.
- Wf 3-11 at Wf06 Price, T WS pass complete to Givens, C for 6 yards to the WF12 (Parks, T.), clock 02:18. Gun Trips. FSU in Nickel. Roll to the strong. 3-deep coverage (I think) for FSU. Ball thrown for 6 or 7 and everyone quickly converges. Excellent defense.
- Wf 4-5 at Wf12 Popham, S punt 35 yards to the WF47, Reid, G. return 9 yards to the WF38 (Frye, A). Drive: 3 plays, 5 yards, TOP 01:24 Wake fumbles the snap and it takes forever for the punt to get there so not much return possibility. Nice work by Greg.
- Drive: 3 plays, 5 yards, TOP 01:24
- Hopkins, D. kickoff 70 yards to the WF0, touchback. What an incredible weapon for FSU. It is so hard to drive 80 yards and FSU forces opponents to do it almost every single time!
- Wf 1-10 at Wf20 WAKE FOREST drive start at 13:22. Wf 1-10 at Wf20 Harris, J rush left for 4 yards to the WF24 (White, M.), clock 13:07. Awful job of anchoring by McDaniel and Dawkins.
- Wf 2-6 at Wf24 Price, T rush left for no gain to the WF24 (Smith, K.), clock 12:38. Read play to the left. Kendal Smith diagnoses quickly and gets to the football. Jenkins nice angle.
- Wf 3-6 at Wf24 Price, T sacked for loss of 6 yards to the WF18 (Bradham, N.), clock 12:05. Markus White excellent quickness off the edge, Price can't step up as Everett Dawkins and Brandon Jenkins push the pocket. He escapes to the right. Nigel Bradham misses the tackle as QB ducks. Jacobbi McDaniel cleans it up.
- Drive: 3 plays, -2 yards
- Wf 4-12 at Wf18 Popham, S punt 49 yards to the FS33, Reid, G. return to the FS36 (Mack, D), PENALTY FS roughing the kicker (Demps, G.) 15 yards to the WF33, 1ST DOWN WF, NO PLAY. This should have been a "running into the kicker" call.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf33 Clock 11:32. Wf 1-10 at Wf33 Givens, C rush ER for 5 yards to the WF38, out-of-bounds (Moody, N.), clock 11:26. Fly sweep option. Reverse. Bradham gets pinned inside.
- Wf 2-5 at Wf38 Price, T screen pass incomplete to Givens, C, clock 11:12. GREAT move by Dawkins. Ridiculous no-call for a hold. Pass incomplete out of bounds.
- Wf 3-5 at Wf38 Harris, J rush up middle for loss of 3 yards to the WF35, fumble by Harris, J recovered by WF Harris, J at WF35, Harris, J for loss of 1 yard to the WF34, out-of-bounds (Reid, G.). Not much to say here.
- Wf 4-9 at Wf34 Clock 10:45. Wf 4-9 at Wf34 Popham, S punt 44 yards to the FS22, Reid, G. return -2 yards to the FS20 (Ehrmann, J). Drive: 6 plays, 14 yards, TOP 02:50 Great coverage and great punt by Wake. Poor block by Telvin Smith.
- Drive: 3 plays, 1 yard.
- Hopkins, D. kickoff 68 yards to the WF2, Brown, D return 14 yards to the WF16 (Alexander, M.). Hopkins has over 4-second hangtime on this, which is tremendous. Nice play by Mister Alexander. Wake lost a very good player on this drive (Devon Brown). Hurt their offense.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf16 Adams, J rush left for 12 yards to the WF28, 1ST DOWN WF (Bradham, N.), clock 05:08. Sweep play with the guards pulling, Kendal Smith gets outside when he needed to stay inside. Ball cut back underneath. Rare error by Smith yesterday. Refs need to blow the whistle for forward progress to avoid injury.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf28 Price, T rush right for 9 yards to the WF37 (Dawkins, E.;Smith, K.), clock 04:47. No-huddle. Speed option right. Bad angle on tv but someone (DT, Werner, or Alexander) wasn't lined up correctly.
- Wf 2-1 at Wf37 Adams, J rush over right guard for 2 yards to the WF39, 1ST DOWN WF (McDaniel, J.), clock 04:34. No-huddle veer look give. McDaniel doesn't play this well and is late off the ball.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf39 Adams, J rush up middle for 2 yards to the WF41 (Werner, B.;Bradham, N.), clock 04:11. Dawkins fires off quickly and is then handled, but the move helps to set the line. Nice job by Smith and Jenkins to engage and control the blocker. Bradham cleans it up.
- Wf 2-8 at Wf41 Price, T rush left for 1 yard to the WF42 (Jenkins, B.), clock 03:56. Speed option left. Freshman Christian Jones does an excellent job of maintaining space between the sideline, pitch man, and quarterback. That squeezes things and Jenkins sheds his block well.
- Wf 3-7 at Wf42 Price, T middle pass intercepted by McDaniel, J. at the WF36, McDaniel, J. return 0 yards to the WF36. Nickel package v. 4-wide gun. McDaniel gets no jump off the ball but smartly gets his hands up, bats the pass, and then intercepts. Heady play. He might have been in a spy there, unsure.
- Drive: 6 plays, 26 yards, TOP 01:48
- Wf 1-10 at Wf33 Price, T rush QX for no gain to the WF33 (White, M.;McAllister, D.). This was essentially a sack. All of the linemen get good pressure and the shifty QB squirts free.
- Wf 2-10 at Wf33 Price, T middle pass complete to Brown, D for 4 yards to the WF37 (Harris, M.), clock 01:11. Tight coverage from Mike Harris. Cover-3 look.
- Wf 3-6 at Wf37 Price, T middle pass complete to Brown, D for 5 yards to the WF42 (Harris, M.), clock 00:53. Combo coverage. Looked like 3-deep 3 under with Mike Harris playing man on the slot guy. Good trail technique by Harris and Wake is stopped short.
- Wf 4-1 at Wf42 Timeout Wake Forest, clock 00:18. Wf 4-1 at Wf42 Popham, S punt 52 yards to the FS6, out-of-bounds. Incredible punting by Wake all day.
- Drive: 3 plays, 9 yards, TOP 01:40
- Wf 1-10 at Wf40 WAKE FOREST drive start at 13:30. Brown, D rush left for loss of 4 yards to the WF36 (White, M.;Bradham, N.), clock 13:10. Excellent team defense by Nigel Bradham, Everett Dawkins, and Markus White, all of whom took on and shed blocks with good pursuit and helped make the play. Play was a fly sweep to the short side.
- Wf 2-14 at Wf36 Price, T deep pass incomplete to Williams, M, clock 12:48. Blown coverage by Lamarcus Joyner. Good pocket pressure but the slippery QB scrambled around and found a space to throw.
- Wf 3-14 at Wf36 Price, T middle pass incomplete to Dembry, D (Bradham, N.), clock 12:42. Rollout to the right. Smart by Wake to move the pocket. Bradham gets his paw in on the passing lane and tips it. Cover-3 I think. Rhodes limping a bit on the play. Stoops talked to him after the play.
- Wf 4-14 at Wf36 Popham, S punt 35 yards to the FS29, Reid, G. return 8 yards to the FS37 (Bechtel, G).
- Drive: 3 plays, minus 4 yards, TOP 00:56
- D. kickoff 70 yards to the WF0, Brown, D return 13 yards to the WF13 (Bradham, N.). Great hick kickoff. Nice coverage too. Simply tremendous. Not much else to say.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf13 WAKE FOREST drive start at 08:28. Wf 1-10 at Wf13 Price, T rush left for 6 yards to the WF19, out-of-bounds (Joyner, L.), clock 08:20. Nigel starts out playing this very well but then him and Nick Moody (surprise) don't play this well together. QB hides behind his line.
- Wf 2-4 at Wf19 Campanaro, M sacked for loss of 4 yards to the WF15 (Jenkins, B.), clock 07:37. Half-back pass. Well read by almost everyone. Cover-3 look and it is played beautifully!
- Wf 3-8 at Wf15 Price, T sideline pass incomplete to Williams, M, clock 07:28. Roll out to the short side. Comeback route is open but not by much and the throw is awful. No credit to FSU here. Just Wake being bad.
- Wf 4-8 at Wf15 Popham, S punt 50 yards to the FS35, Reid, G. return 10 yards to the FS45 (Bechtel, G). Good move by Greg Reid.
- Drive: 3 plays, 2 yards, TOP 01:15
- Wf 1-10 at Wf10 WAKE FOREST drive start at 03:25. Price, T sideline pass complete to Parker, A for 7 yards to the WF17 (Smith, K.), clock 03:10. FSU in a very soft cover-4 coverage here. Nice route and throw. Coverage is not awful.
- Wf 2-3 at Wf17 Price, T rush right for 3 yards to the WF20, 1ST DOWN WF (Smith, K.), clock 02:37. QB keep give fake with the guard pulling. Alexander misses his read but then he makes up for it by destroying the guard! Excellent job by McCloud and White to hold position! Wake wastes time with McAllister and never gets to Alexander. Smith comes over the top and cleans it up. Nice looking play for FSU but Mister must read that better.
- Wf 1-10 at Wf20 Price, T middle pass complete to Brown, D for 2 yards to the WF22 (Smith, K.), clock 02:07. Great coverage. 2-yard passes all day.
- Wf 2-8 at Wf22 Price, T rush over left end for 3 yards to the WF25 (Alexander, M.), clock 01:48. Injured player for WF is #11-Price. QB for Wake Forest is #13-Stachitas. On the 2nd down play Alexander popped the guard and Smith cleaned up. Here is the reverse. Smith pops the guard and Alexander crushes Wake's frosh QB who ducked his head in the hole! Dangerous stuff from the young QB. He's concussed.
- Wf 3-5 at Wf25 Stachitas, T rush QX for 8 yards to the WF33, 1ST DOWN WF (Jenkins, B.), clock 01:33. New Qb can really run. Eludes White and Jenkins!
- Wf 1-10 at Wf33 Stachitas, T rush over right tackle for 4 yards to the WF37 (Smith, K.), clock 01:03. McDaniel loses his gap here and opens the hole. Poor push from Jacobbi.
- Wf 2-6 at Wf37 Stachitas, T rush QX for 3 yards to the WF40 (Smith, K.), clock 00:36. Good coverage (cover 3) and good pocket pressure and he just gets away. Credit Stachitas for some good wheels. Jenkins loses contain late though it was on a spin.
- Wf 3-3 at Wf40 Stachitas, T rush QX for 3 yards to the WF43, 1ST DOWN WF (Alexander, M.). Ridiculous scramble. FSU just can't get to him. White barely misses the sack. Kendal Smith comes in completely out of control and misses the tackle.
- 4th Quarter Wf 1-10 at Wf43 Stachitas, T middle pass complete to Ford, C for 7 yards to the 50 yardline (Parks, T.), clock 14:40. Play-action and Stachitas makes another very nice move to elude pressure and then hits the tight end leaking out. Parks nails him.
- Wf 2-3 at Wf50 Harris, J rush over right end for 3 yards to the FS47, 1ST DOWN WF (Williams, V.), clock 14:17. Read-sweep with 2 pulling guards. Nigel Bradham and Vince Williams don't read this well at all. Should have been stopped for a loss. Wake finally crossed mid-field!
- Wf 1-10 at Fs47 Harris, J rush over left end for 1 yard to the FS46 (Bradham, N.), clock 14:05. Werner and Dawkins play this very well. McDaniel doesn't hold his ground. These plays need to be losses or no-gainers against a team as sorry as Wake Forest (sorry Wake fans).
- Wf 2-9 at Fs46 Stachitas, T sacked for loss of 11 yards to the WF43 (Jenkins, B.), clock 13:09. Screen!! McDaniel reads it perfectly and doesn't rush. Telvin Smith is all over the back. The QB keeps backpedaling and is literally sandwiched for a huge sack.
- Wf 3-20 at Wf43 Stachitas, T deep out pass complete to Dembry, D for 17 yards to the FS40, out-of-bounds (Joyner, L.). Quickly-run deep out. FSU is in either really soft cover-2 or cover 4. Joyner doesn't expect Stachitas to throw this pass as perfectly as he did.
- Wf 4-3 at Fs40 Stachitas, T rush QX for 6 yards to the FS34, 1ST DOWN WF (Alexander, M.). Not even sure how to analyze this. "Wake's QB never looks downfield and only dances around, Wake's offensive line holds like crazy, and everything is sloppy."
- Wf 1-10 at Fs34 Stachitas, T sacked for loss of 2 yards to the FS36 (Werner, B.). Excellent pressure by Amp McCloud causes Stachitas to step up and Werner gobbles him up. Cover-3 nicely executed.
- Wf 2-12 at Fs36 Stachitas, T sacked for loss of 5 yards to the FS41 (McAllister, D.;McCloud, A.). Good job by Demonte to take advantage of #75 for Wake who is a terrible guard. Just one of the worst ACC linemen I have ever seen.
- Wf 3-17 at Fs41 Stachitas, T pass complete to Bohanon, T for 9 yards to the FS32, fumble forced by Harris, M., fumble by Bohanon, T recovered by FS Parks, T. at FS32. Excellent pressure by McAllister again (on that awful lineman for Wake). Ball flipped to the flats. FSU is in cover-3 and Mike Harris makes a nice tackle to get the ball away from the fullback.
- Drive: 17 plays, 58 yards, TOP 07:29 A 3.4 yard/play average is pretty poor.
The remaining Wake Forest drives occurred during garbage time and I don't care what happens when the outcome is no longer in question.