Welcome to another edition of the Florida State Film Review. These are time-intensive, so please make sure to read and enjoy them. Please remember that as I predicted, FSU's offense treated this game as a passing scrimmage. It wanted to test certain things. The goal was to develop and learn, not to just score as many points as possible. Clips should be available later today. I will have overall analysis of the offense and defense tomorrow.
As mentioned by FO, this was total domination by FSU and not scores off turnovers, etc:
Fla St > Wake Forest +24.9. EqPts: FSU 31.1,WF 3.9. T/O Pts: WF +2.3. As mentioned in VN (http://bit.ly/daSwH0) total domination from Noles.
(click to enlarge. Chart shows only non-garbage time possessions)
- Fs 1-10 at Fs14 Thomas, J. rush right for 1 yard to the FS15 (Wilber, K;Souza, F), clock 11:48. Jermaine trying not to dance (good) but should have cut it back inside more sharply (bad). Inside zone play. Blocking was good.
- Fs 2-9 at Fs15 Ponder, C. sideline pass complete to Haulstead, W. for 7 yards to the FS22 (Bush, J), clock 11:06. Quick-game 3-step comeback to Haulstead from the gun against 3-deep coverage. Looks good. Oline gets its cuts.
- Fs 3-2 at Fs22 Ponder, C. slant pass complete to Haulstead, W. for 6 yards to the FS28, 1ST DOWN FS, clock 10:40. Gun Empty. Double slants. Quick game again. Throw is low (which is fine on quicks). Good job to catch it by Haulstead. Not impressed with the OL cuts.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs28 Ponder, C. screen pass complete to Thomas, J. for 11 yards to the FS39, 1ST DOWN FS (Wilber, K;Quarles, C), clock 10:09. Double-flare screens. Nice block Taiwan Easterling. Nice block Rodney Smith
- Fs 1-10 at Fs39 Ponder, C. rush QX for 6 yards to the FS45, out-of-bounds, clock 09:44. Double-tights. Orelus blows this and doesn't show run coming out of his set on play-action. Ponder great job to get away. Got out of bounds.
- Fs 2-4 at Fs45 Thompson, C. rush over right tackle for 5 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN FS (Frye, A), clock 09:20. Nice run by Chris Thompson but if he makes a move he could have gone the distance.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs50 Ponder, C. deep pass incomplete to Reed, B., clock 08:46. Henry Orelus doesn't move his feet and gets beat around the outside. Ponder has to scramble and launch off balance to Reed. Shame because this play might have had something if Ponder had any time. Bert was open. If Ponder can look downfield or set his feet this is a nice TD. Perhaps a dangerous throw.
- Fs 2-10 at Fs50 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 1 yard to the WF49, out-of-bounds (Frye, A), PENALTY FS holding (Easterling, T.) 10 yards to the FS41, clock 08:15. Bubble. Look was right to throw it. Not a good throw (high) and Ponder didn't catch the snap clean (late). Holding call was questionable as Easterling blocked it pretty well. Not a major gripe.
- Fs 2-19 at Fs41 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Shaw, K. for 5 yards to the FS46 (Frye, A), clock 07:49. The freshman Kenny Shaw gets open, sits down, and gets a nice catch. He is really quick. Average ball by Ponder. Christian Ponder could have held this longer and looked downfield more. 5-wide gun.
- Fs 3-14 at Fs46 Ponder, C. slant pass complete to Jones, T. for 13 yards to the WF41, out-of-bounds (Ehrmann, J), clock 07:16. Safety valve to Jones for 5 but a tremendous job by Jones to keep the legs moving.
- Fs 4-1 at Wf41 Ponder, C. rush quarterback sneak for 2 yards to the WF39, 1ST DOWN FS (Smith, K), clock 06:53.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf39 Ponder, C. deep out pass complete to Haulstead, W. for 17 yards to the WF22, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Bush, J), clock 06:24. 2 TE Wing play-action. Wake blitzes this. Ty Jones bad angle on pass pro but recovers enough to get a piece. Orelus not good protection. Ponder flushed a bit and delivers an ugly but accurate throw to Haulstead. Nice route by Haulstead.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf22 PENALTY FS false start (Spurlock, D.) 5 yards to the WF27, clock 06:00. David Spurlock isn't right. He's regressed. Play was going to be outside zone.
- Fs 1-15 at Wf27 Jones, T. rush over right guard for 11 yards to the WF16 (Frye, A), clock 05:15. Inside zone. Nice block by Orelus and Hudson. Jones earns the last 5 himself. Nice effort.
- Fs 2-4 at Wf16 Jones, T. rush over right guard for 3 yards to the WF13 (Smith, K), clock 04:41. Orelus with a nice run block here. Lonnie Pryor doesn't get low enough to block the backer.
- Fs 3-1 at Wf13 Jones, T. rush up middle for 7 yards to the WF6, 1ST DOWN FS (Quarles, C;Frye, A), clock 04:16. Great blocking by the oline and Jabarris Little and Lonnie Pryor too. Ty Jones runs this inside zone play very well.
- Fs 1-G at Wf06 Jones, T. rush over right guard for 2 yards to the WF4 (Souza, F), clock 03:41. Blocking here is good for 4 or 5 but Jones doesn't keep his head up and runs into Orelus' back.
- Fs 2-G at Wf04 Ponder, C. TR pass incomplete to Reed, B. (Frye, A), clock 03:11. Watching this live I hated the playcall, but it wasn't a fade. It was an out, which I am fine with Bert catching. Wake blitzes and jumps and makes Ponder double-clutch which makes the ball go high. Turns it into a fade. Give Wake Forest credit here for good defense. Reed was open on the correct route but WF's blitz messed it up. Nice play on the ball by Wake too. I had said it was idiotic to call a fade to Bert on the goal line, and it would be, but Fisher didn't do that. I apologize to him and Coley.
- Fs 3-G at Wf04 Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 6 yards to the WF10 (Ehrmann, J), fumble by Ponder, C. recovered by WF Dorty, T at WF7. This is not really on Zebrie Sanders. FSU is in K-gun look. Zebrie's guy takes a wide angle and Zebrie washes him wide. Not great by Zebrie but not awful. Ponder needs to step up but he can't because Orelus let his guy get inside. Hudson didn't help Orelus much, who was beat. This is on Orelus and Hudson. If Ponder can step up Zebrie's man never enters the equation.
- Drive: 18 plays, 79 yards, TOP 08:59. FSU moved the ball on the drive. Moving the ball leads to points. Drive was encouraging overall. Process = results.
Inside, find the final six drives
- Fs 1-10 at Wf38 Ponder, C. rush right for 2 yards to the WF36 (Malchow, L), clock 01:26. I hate this option play. Christian never pitches it. Ever. Blocking is fine. If he pitches it Thomas has a 12+ yard gain.
- Fs 2-8 at Wf36 Thomas, J. rush left for 11 yards to the WF25, 1ST DOWN FS (Malchow, L), clock 00:55. Fake to Lonnie Pryor, pitch oppo to Jermaine Thomas. Great blocking by Willie Haulstead and Taiwan Easterling. Thomas doesn't dance and grabs the first down.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf25 Thomas, J. rush right for loss of 1 yard to the WF26 (Haynes, H;Wilber, K), clock 00:10. Outside zone. Spurlock gets dominated here by a freshman. I've said it before and I'll say it again: David Spurlock isn't right after his camp injury.
- 2nd Quarter begins
- Fs 2-11 Fs 2-11 at Wf26 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 15 yards to the WF11, 1ST DOWN FS (Mack, D;Haynes, H), clock 14:49. Love this play. Trips left, fake QB sweep left, throwback screen to the right. Haulstead, Zebrie Sanders and Spurlock with good open field blocks. Good accurate ball.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf11 Ponder, C. crossing pass incomplete to Easterling, T., clock 14:24. I-form, Spurlock allows pressure. This is a skinny post and Ponder overthrows Easterling who is covered somewhat tightly. Difficult throw to make and Ponder did not hit it probably because a guy was in his grill. Decent route by Easterling.
- Fs 2-10 at Wf11 Ponder, C. rush quarterback draw for 1 yard to the WF10 (Souza, F;Dorty, T), clock 14:08. Fake bubble QB lead draw. Linebackers don't bite but it's a well-designed play. Ponder doesn't make the right cut here. Kudos to Wake Forest for being disciplined.
- Fs 3-9 at Wf10 PENALTY FS false start (Reed, B.) 5 yards to the WF15, clock 13:43. Lack of focus with a poor opponent.
- Fs 3-14 at Wf15 Ponder, C. pass incomplete to Smith, R., PENALTY WF offside 5 yards to the WF10, NO PLAY.
- Fs 3-9 at Wf10 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Haulstead, W. for 10 yards to the WF0, 1ST DOWN FS, TOUCHDOWN, clock 13:22. Hopkins, D. kick attempt good. Gun here. Christian steps up in the pocket, Willie Haulstead's route is finished, and he does what he is supposed to do! "I got the offense down pat.", said Willie Haulstead. "I just find the hole and sit down and give Christian a target."
- Florida State 7, Wake Forest 0 Drive: 7 plays, 38 yards, TOP 03:18
- Fs 1-10 at Fs20 Ponder, C. post pass incomplete to Reed, B. (Okoro, K), clock 10:25. 2TE singleback. Reed with the deep crossing route. 5-step drop. Protection is average, Ponder steps up and releases. Doesn't lead Bert enough. Bad throw by Ponder. Throw needs to be wider and away from the DB.
- Fs 2-10 at Fs20 Ponder, C. rush QX for 13 yards to the FS33, 1ST DOWN FS (Frye, A), clock 10:13. Play-action boot to the short side. Reliford is late getting out of traffic to get open so Ponder makes some very nice moves and grabs the first down. Fisher was screaming at Bert Reed or Taiwan Easterling, whom I am guessing didn't do the job to get open.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs33 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Smith, R. for 5 yards to the FS38 (Bush, J), clock 09:31. Wake's on cover-3, Rodney turn around and makes the catch. Gets one extra yard after the catch. Great job by Zebrie to run his guy past the play.
- Fs 2-5 at Fs38 Thompson, C. rush over right guard for 5 yards to the FS43, 1ST DOWN FS (Redding, K;Orange, G), clock 08:57. Quick-hitting power play. Good blocks with McMahon and Spurlock. tough running from Thompson.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs43 Ponder, C. post pass incomplete to Haulstead, W. (Bush, J), clock 08:30. Great play-action fake, nice throw to Willie Haulstead 38 yards in the air. There's an argument that Ponder is a half-second late with this. There's no argument that Wake's guy made a very nice play and that Haulstead needs to catch this ball, though difficult.
- Fs 2-10 at Fs43 Ponder, C. sideline pass incomplete to Smith, R., clock 08:26. 3-step game from I-formation. Throw is an out to Rodney Smith. Pass pro here is tough on a nice blitz, McMahon has to get over to grab a blitzer. Tough and Pressure in Ponder's face causes a high throw.
- Fs 3-10 at Fs43 Ponder, C. middle pass complete to Easterling, T. for 22 yards to the WF35, 1ST DOWN FS (Bush, J), clock 08:16. 3-man rush, Ponder buys a bit of time with his legs and Easterling just does what he does (get open against zone defenses).
- Fs 1-10 at Wf35 Jones, T. rush left for 16 yards to the WF19, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Wilber, K), clock 07:41. Out-side power. Excellent blocks by Henry Orelus, Rodney Smith, and Willie Haulstead. Poor block by Jabarris Little. Nice move by Ty Jones.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf19 Ponder, C. sideline pass complete to Thompson, C. for 3 yards to the WF16 (Haynes, R), clock 07:00. Wake covers this very well, Ponder goes to his 4th option. Great catch by Thompson.
- Fs 2-7 at Wf16 Thompson, C. rush over right guard for no gain to the WF16 (Dorty, T), clock 06:16. I don't have a great angle on this replay. Either Thompson doesn't hit the right hole or Beau Reliford doesn't make the right block.
- Fs 3-7 at Wf16 Timeout Florida State, clock 06:12. Fs 3-7 at Wf16 Ponder, C. sideline pass complete to Reed, B. for loss of 1 yard to the WF17 (Okoro, K), clock 05:52. 4-Wide trips right gun. I put this on Ponder. Protection was passable and if he steps up in the pocket Rodney Smith might be coming open. Still, however, Wake runs a very nice complex coverage here and when Ponder threw this ball the read was correct. Sometimes the other team throws paper when you throw rock.
- Fs 4-8 at Wf17 Hopkins, D. field goal attempt from 34 GOOD, clock 05:28.
- Florida State 10, Wake Forest 0 Drive: 12 plays, 63 yards, TOP 05:08
- Fs 1-10 at Wf36 FLORIDA STATE drive start at 03:36. Ponder, C. sideline pass complete to Easterling, T. for 13 yards to the WF23, 1ST DOWN FS (Marshall, AJ), clock 03:28. 3-step game from double tights. Easterling with a comeback and he picks up 3-4 extra.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf23 Ponder, C. sideline pass incomplete to Reed, B. (Woodlief, M), clock 03:13. 3-step game from double-tights again. Ponder has a front-side read and throws the ball to Reed. Ball to the wide side of the field is batted. Excellent job by Christian Ponder with the volleyball spike. Orelus struggled here allowing his man to bat the ball. Ponder might have stared down Reed but it is tough to tell.
- Fs 2-10 at Wf23 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 5 yards to the WF18 (Dorty, T;Okoro, K), PENALTY FS clipping (Sanders, Z.) 15 yards to the WF38, NO PLAY, clock 03:04. Terrible snap by Ryan McMahon screws up this entire play. Beautiful throwback screen designed and FSU breaks this if McMahon doesn't throw off the timing. As is, Ponder can't do the fake because he's bending for the snap. He has to throw immediately and fewer defenders are fooled. Then, because the defenders aren't fooled, they are in great position, and Zebrie Sanders picks up a dumb clip on a guy he would have blocked easily had the snap been good. Willie Haulstead had a nice block.
- Fs 2-25 at Wf38 Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 7 yards to the WF45 (Wilber, K), clock 02:43. 4-wide doubles gun. Fail by the offensive line here. Orelus' kick-slide is poor here. He gets beat. Ponder tries to step up but Spurlock does not handle delayed twist up front well at all and Ponder can't step up as David Spurlock turns his guy loose. Zebrie did not play this poorly.
- Fs 3-32 at Wf45 Jones, T. rush left for 12 yards to the WF33, out-of-bounds (Wilber, K), clock 02:10. Lead sweep excellent block by Lonnie Pryor and Henry Orelus.
- Fs 4-20 at Wf33 Hopkins, D. field goal attempt from 51 MISSED - wide right, spot at WF33, clock 01:49. Good effort by Dustin Hopkins. I don't fault kickers for missing a 51-yard field goal close.
- Drive: 5 plays, 3 yards, TOP 01:47
- Newman, J kickoff 69 yards to the FS1, Joyner, L. return 22 yards to the FS23 (Lowe, D;Frye, A).
- Fs 1-10 at Fs23 FLORIDA STATE drive start at 14:54.
- Thomas, J. rush left for 8 yards to the FS31, out-of-bounds, clock 14:47. Excellent job by Jermaine Thomas to adjust his angle and get the corner. Tremendous block by Rodney Hudson off the double.
- Fs 2-2 at Fs31 Thomas, J. rush over right tackle for 24 yards to the WF45, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Quarles, C), PENALTY WF face mask (Quarles, C) 15 yards to the WF30, 1ST DOWN FS. Vintage Jermaine Thomas. Looked like 2008. Inside zone to the short side. Bootleg fake holds the backside defender. Zebrie Sanders washes his man. Wake overpursues and we are off to the races. Bert does a nice job blocking downfield.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf30 1st and 10. Fs 1-10 at Wf30 Clock 14:11. Ponder, C. sideline pass incomplete to Pryor, L., clock 13:43. Wake playing all pass does a great job flooding the passing lanes. Ponder has to sidearm it.
- Fs 2-10 at Wf30 Ponder, C. screen pass incomplete to Thompson, C. (Ehrmann, J), clock 13:38. Swing screen to Chris Thompson. Easterling completely blows the block and this play turns into a cluster.
- Fs 3-10 at Wf30 Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 8 yards to the WF38 (Wilber, K), fumble by Ponder, C. recovered by WF Ehrmann, J at WF40. Fisher wanted to test Orelus a lot in this game (he said so) and this is a tough block with no help on a decent rusher. Orelus is all out-of-sorts and his kick-slide isn't there. Gets beat around the edge. Ponder never sees it coming at all. Scanning the reads on 3rd-10.
- Drive: 5 plays, 37 yards, TOP 01:24
- Fs 1-10 at Fs37 FLORIDA STATE drive start at 12:34.
- Game is being delayed due to lightning at 5:23 pm. Game resumed at 6:05 pm. 42 minute delay.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs37 Ponder, C. sideline pass complete to Easterling, T. for 15 yards to the WF48, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Okoro, K), clock 12:26. I-form Twins. Play-action Ponder quickly gets his head around and fires on the comeback for 8. Easterling nice job to grab 7 more. Protection was nice.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf48 Thomas, J. rush right for loss of 4 yards to the FS48 (Dorty, T;Woodlief, M), clock 11:49. 2RB Gun. Sweep to the right. Lonnie Pryor misses his cut and that's all she wrote. Jermaine fights to lose 4 instead of 6.
- Fs 2-14 at Fs48 Ponder, C. sideline pass incomplete to Reed, B., dropped pass, clock 11:27. Bert Reed doesn't catch the ball with his hands. 4WR Doubles gun look. Faircloth in for Datko and is beat inside but Ponder gets it off anyway.
- Fs 3-14 at Fs48 Ponder, C. flag pass complete to Easterling, T. for 28 yards to the WF24, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Frye, A), clock 11:20. Fisher dials up the smash combo he loves so much. You could tell he was tired of testing the young tackles and keeps 2 backs in to protect. Time to go get some points. Protection is very nice. Ponder makes a tremendous throw right into Easterling's hands. Big play.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf24 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 8 yards to the WF16, out-of-bounds (Frye, A), clock 10:55. The bubble was so obviously open FSU had to throw it. Easterling doesn't even touch his man but this is so open it's an easy 8 yards.
- Fs 2-2 at Wf16 Jones, T. rush over right tackle for 5 yards to the WF11, 1ST DOWN FS (Haynes, H;Dorty, T), clock 10:34. This was an inside zone run but Wake isn't lined up right so there's nobody to zone and Jones picks up the two easily and grabs 3 more with tough running.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf11 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Easterling, T. for 10 yards to the WF1, 1ST DOWN FS, out-of-bounds (Okoro, K), clock 10:05. If Wake is going to play 12 yards off the ball in the slot Ponder is going to throw the bubble. Nice job Rodney Smith to get the block with those long arms!
- Fs 1-G at Wf01 Ponder, C. rush quarterback sneak for no gain to the WF1 (Smith, K), clock 09:28. Ponder can't get the ball. Weird play.
- Fs 2-G at Wf01 PENALTY FS false start (Faircloth, G.) 5 yards to the WF6, clock 08:54. Red-shirt freshman. Can't have this.
- Fs 2-G at Wf06 Ponder, C. rush quarterback draw for 6 yards to the WF0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 08:34. Hopkins, D. kick attempt good. Fake bubble creates hesitation in the backers enough for Spurlock to pull around and Ty Jones to get their cuts. Ponder leaps over the safety for the TD. Well set up play.
- Florida State 17, Wake Forest 0 Drive: 9 plays, 63 yards, TOP 04:06 Very crisp drive.
- Fs 1-10 at Fs45 Thomas, J. rush over right guard for 9 yards to the WF46 (Ehrmann, J), clock 06:58. Inside zone makes it look easy. Good blocking by McMahon
- Fs 2-1 at Wf46 Thomas, J. rush over left guard for 2 yards to the WF44, 1ST DOWN FS (Wilber, K;Woodlief, M), clock 06:34.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf44 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reliford, B. for 7 yards to the WF37 (Marshall, AJ), clock 05:58. Bootleg quick flip. Nice job to get the head around quickly.
- Fs 2-3 at Wf37 Thompson, C. rush over right guard for 4 yards to the WF33, 1ST DOWN FS (Wilber, K), clock 05:36. Thomas running hard which is encouraging. Inside zone. Hudson and McMahon doing their thing.
- Fs 1-10 at Wf33 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Reed, B. for 7 yards to the WF26 (Okoro, K), PENALTY FS clipping (Hudson, R.) 15 yards to the WF41. This "clipping" call was questionable but difficult to call. I think he got him from the side.
- Fs 1-18 at Wf41 1st and 18. Fs 1-18 at Wf41 Clock 05:10. Injured player for WF is #32-Betros. Fs 1-18 at Wf41 Ponder, C. rush left for 1 yard to the WF40, out-of-bounds (Haynes, R), clock 04:52. QB Sweep to short side. FSU has numbers but Chris Thompson poor footwork and misses his block. Needs to cut this bigger linebacker. I am fine with this QB run check because Ponder can get out of bounds.
- Fs 2-17 at Wf40 Ponder, C. WS pass complete to Smith, R. for 4 yards to the WF36 (Marshall, AJ), clock 04:17. Ponder was trying to go to Haulstead because he has a nice seem if he hits him on the quick slant. Wake is all over it as the DE flips when he is cut. Safety valve to Smith underneath.
- Fs 3-13 at Wf36 Ponder, C. sideline pass incomplete to Smith, R. (Marshall, AJ), clock 03:36. Awful block by Zebrie Sanders. Just awful. He has a fine initial kick, but when he throws his punch he quits with his feet and the Wake end counters with a nice hand move and hits Ponder, who shakes him off but then has to re-locate his target, and fire way late.
- Fs 4-13 at Wf36 Powell, S. punt 26 yards to the WF10, downed. Excellent job of punting.
- Drive: 8 plays, 19 yards, TOP 03:48
The rest of the offensive plays occurred during "garbage time" and I'm not breaking them down in the interest of time.