The Seminole football previews take a lot of time and effort, so I thought it would be good for us to grade the 'Noles based on our pre-game objectives.
For a refresher, here was the preview. These shaded objectives come from the preview.
- hold Duke under 5 yards/play before garbage time
3.8 is way, way better than the minumum goal of 5. Excellent work. FSU held Duke to its worst offensive game of the year. By far.
- No scores of more than 20 yards
- Red Zone TD % of less than 50%
Fail. Duke punched it in on two of three RZ trips. However, it should be noted that Duke did have a big gainer down to the 1-yard line, so this should partially go in the above category.
- Play unselfish team defense and let the plays come to you. Don't get out of position because you are too aggressive.
It was a solid effort. I'll have a lot more after reviewing the film, but I didn't see guys wildly out of position.
- At least 6.5 yards/play before garbage time:
8.2 is 25% better than goal. Well done. Stanford put up 8.4/play, FSU put up 8.2. Not bad.
- No more than 1 turnover
Exactly 1 turnover (Dent fumble)
- Less than two operational penalties (false starts, delay of game, motion)
ZERO. Excellent job
- Red Zone TD % of 66% or better.
5 trips (not counting the last one as it was garbage time and FSU ran out the clock).
Duke was 4-4 on onside kicks entering the game. I'm not sure what that means, or if it makes you feel any better about FSU giving up 2 of 3 onside kicks.
I'd give FSU a "B" for this game if I were to assign a grade. It was a good effort, an effort that FSU needed, but there are still issues. We'll cover these in film review this week.