I know that the season hasn't gone the way we wanted (1 bad half against NC State supplemented by TERRIBLE officiating). However, just wanted to drop some stats on you to consider about our defense.
- In 78 drives we have given up 12 TD's this year, and 5 Field Goals against 6 division 1 opponents. = 16.5 points a game
- However consider the following: 4 of those TD's are Garbage Time Touchdowns (We have a three score lead when the opponent scores - often against second teamers or first teamer playing conservative and with less intensity). Removing those = 11.8 points a game
- 5 of those TD's and 1 FG came after came after the offense or special teams either turned the ball over or had a blocked/shanked punt. = Removing those 5.5 points a game
- 2 of those TD's came on Trick Plays = Removing those 3.2 points a game
- 1 of those was a big play = Removing those 2 points a game
In percentage terms, 78% of opponents drives produce no points. Taking out GTTD's, 83% produce no points. Taking out offense/ST errors, 90% produce no points.
Take away: This is an awesome defense. Be very confident that we can win out.