Phil Steele released his All-ACC projection today. 20 Noles made at least one of his four teams, which leads the conference by 50% over Clemson (13). FSU came in second with five first-teamers (Clemson had six).
Some of these rankings make me believe that Phill doesn't watch much ACC football. And then some are pretty shrewd. Who knows? I do know that few are better nationally at nailing the 10,000 ft view.
Here are the big misses:
- Malliciah Goodman over Bjoern Werner, James Gayle, etc? Ridiculous. This screams lack of attention to detail on Steele's part. Goodman is a physical specimen, but his play is not close to matching his physique. Relying on a kid's recruiting ranking to project him on the first team in his senior year after three 'meh' campaigns is not smart.
- Ray-Ray Armstrong as a first-team safety? Not a chance. But hey, he has name recognition. Earl Wolf of N.C. State (3rd tm) is a much better choice.
- Jacob Fahrenkrug as the 2nd tm guard? There's a strong possibility he won't even start for Florida State after really struggling in his junior year.
And here are the ones with which I feel Steele did quite well.
- The first team ACC offense. I can argue some of these, but do not see any major omissions.
- The majority of the first team defense (Goodman and Armstrong excepted). I think Steele nailed 9 of the 12 he listed. I will give him a pass on Christian Jones, because while he may be the best linebacker in the league, it is very tough to tell without watching him specifically each game and snap.
- Clemson with the league's top two receivers.
What are your thoughts?