July 22, 2012; Greensboro, NC, USA; Flordia State Seminoles quarterback EJ Manuel talks to the media during ACC media day at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro NC. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-US PRESSWIRE
Florida State stayed out of the rain delay stuff Tuesday night and practiced at 5:30 a.m. to avoid the rain. Here's an update. It's hard to learn much from the first three days of practice as guys are in shorts. Real football players show out when the pads come on. Right now it's good to use these practices to see who put in work over the summer, who is healthy, and who isn't lost.
- The first team offensive line remains LT- Cameron Erving, LG- Josue Matias, C- Austin Barron, RG- Tre Jackson and RT- Bryan Stork. JUCO transfer Daniel Glauser worked at left tackle, while sophomore Bobby Hart and JUCO transfer Menelik Watson worked at right tackle.
- Kelvin Benjamin has come so far from where he was as a freshman. Wow. He's transformed so much physically and mentally. Benjamin repped some with the first team.
- Freshman track star/returner/receiver Marvin Bracy aggravated a chronic hamstring injury. He was not slated to play much other than on special teams, but this is something worth keeping an eye on.
- For those who missed it, freshman running back Mario Pender will miss the season with groin surgery. He was fourth string.
- Speaking of running backs, Fisher seemed very pleased with runners Chris Thompson and Devonta Freeman, who have battled back issues in the past. Lonnie Pryor was also taking reps at tailback. We expect that to continue.
- Nick Waisome continued to be the first-string field corner (Greg Reid's vacated spot). I think some are unrealistically negative about Waisome, but also believe this battle is far from over. Darby and Keelin Smith are certainly in the mix, as are a few others, potentially.
- I have never seen a group of freshman like this. Incredible impressive physically. And none are likely to be starters. That says all you need to know about the change of this roster and program.
- Willie Haulstead has lost a good bit of that gut he picked up last year while missing the season with a concussion.
- Freshman linebacker Markuss Eligwe is playing middle linebacker, while freshman Reggie Northrup is on the outside.
- Fisher talked a lot again about the veterans leading the young players.
- QB depth chart continues to be Manuel, Trickett, Coker, Winston/Maguire
- Here is the full, free video of Jimbo Fisher after practice.
Inside, more photos and video. 100% free.
Continuing our focus on freshmen and those who have changed their bodies in the off-season. And to cut down on load times, I will continue to link and not embed these.
- Freshman DB P.J. Williams. He has corner and safety versatility and is very long.
- QB Clint Trickett looking thicker after getting a handle on his celiac disease.
- The starting offensive line. Definitely the largest group FSU has had since 2007. Possibly before.
- Linebacker Christian Jones is incredibly long. Wow.
- Running back Chris Thompson looks to be muscled up. He is a great kid, too. Fisher raved about him Tuesday.
- Freshman DB Colin Blake out of San Antonio. Likely a redshirt candidate as he is quite raw. Also appears to have a shoulder issue.
- Freshman corner Ronald Darby will push for the starting job at field corner.
- LOLOL Amp McCloud. Good luck not getting pushed back by this guy.
- Fairly sure this move by Menelik Watson on Tank Carradine isn't quite legal.
- Brandon Jenkins beats Cameron Erving on the speed rush.
- Long snappers and holders! Now on scholarship!
- Freshman linebacker Reggie Northrup out of Jacksonville First Coast HS. Expect him to be excellent on special teams this season. Good size for a freshman 'backer.
- Kelvin Benjamin looks amazing. What a difference a year makes.
Interesting to see Karlos Williams in coverage there against Haulstead...
Here's a video on Chris Thompson. Love seeing that kid back.