Florida State landed another recruit Tuesday in Arthur Williams, a talented offensive and defensive lineman. Out of Fayetteville (N.C.) E.E. Smith High School, Williams is rated a three-star recruit, and also claims offers from Miami and East Carolina. Auburn was heavily interested.
I saw the 6'4, 280-pound Williams this summer during the second session of Jimbo Fisher camp. Here is what I remember:
- Williams is a very raw player. He is big and athletic, but is not yet a great football player. He is more of a long-term projection.
- Williams has excellent length, and could play offensive tackle, offensive guard, or interior defensive line. At Florida State he worked out with defensive line coach Haggins.
- As of this summer, Williams had a good bit of work to do in the classroom. This is from the adult with him at the camp with whom I spoke. I do not remember if it was his dad, his uncle, or his coach. I do not believe FSU would have accepted the commitment publicly had he not got the work don to get back on track.
- His primary recruiter is Jay Graham, FSU's running backs coach who handles the Carolinas.
"First and foremost, I am going to go to school to get my bachelors and masters in business and marketing," Williams said. "Florida State is the number one business school in the country. It stuck out so much from every other school. You have no choice but to be successful academically."
"Number two is because it is still in the south and close to home, because I am originally from (Waycross,) Georgia," Williams added. "My family will always be able to come and watch me play."
"Number three is it is a championship team right now," Williams concluded with. "I want to be a part of a team of that caliber."
FSU now has 25 commitments in the class of 2014. A class of 30+ is expected.
More from Tomahawk Nation:
- Florida State Football: The hidden yards v. Clemson
- Florida State receiver Kelvin Benjamin cites maturity, less rotation for improvement
- Florida State Football Practice Report: 10/21
- Florida State over Clemson: Veteran defensive leaders speak
- Jimbo Fisher Monday press conference after Florida State's win over Clemson
- Florida State takes home many ACC Player of the Week honors
- Florida State 51, Clemson 14: Review the preview
- National media thinks Florida State football is back
- Telvin Smith asked Lawrence Dawsey if this is what it was like during Florida State's dynasty years: Yes
- Florida State No. 2 in initial BCS Standings
- Florida State over Clemson: Field-level highlights
- Florida State over Clemson: Clips from ESPN
- Again: Do Not Blitz Florida State's Jameis Winston
- Receiver Rashad Greene thinks Florida State is the best team in the country
- VIDEO: Jimbo Fisher after Florida State's huge win over Clemson