Yards gained by Florida State in its first four possessions against Maryland. The Seminoles drove the length of the field on their first possession, but three straight punts kept the game at 7-0 for a while. And then they gained 511 yards (10.2 per play) and scored eight touchdowns on their next eight possessions.
I understand Florida State's reputation, and I understand that, in theory, there will be a point where quarterback Jameis Winston (23-for-32, 393 yards, five touchdowns, 33 rushing yards, and some general hilarity) actually looks like a redshirt freshman. But it's impossible to watch Florida State and think anything other than "Wow, that's an elite team right there." The Seminoles are ranked too low at sixth, but obviously a win at Clemson will put them where they need to be.
I joined the 1010 XL radio crew of Joe and Hacker to talk Florida State and its upcoming games. Give it a listen.
4. Florida State QB Jameis Winston: Winston put on another aerial show over the weekend as the Seminoles pasted Maryland, 63-0. The ultra-talented freshman passer completed 23 of 32 throws for 393 yards and five touchdowns. On the season, he's tossed 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions. He has outstanding physical skills, but I've been most impressed by his poise and confidence in the pocket. His feet are always calm, and he doesn't get rattled when bodies are around him. That is a very rare trait in any quarterback, much less a first-year starter at the collegiate level.
Other cities were not discussed "in any seriousness," Bobinski said. After playing in Jacksonville, Tampa and Charlotte since 2005, the ACC seems open to a permanent home.
"That wasn't a spoken item (at the meeting) but probably understood that one location does give it a chance to establish roots," Bobinski said. "The city does a great job hosting and it's a great setup."
Let the hype for Game of the Year of the Decade of the Century 2013 Edition Version 2.0 begin. On Saturday, Florida State looked like the best team in the country. The defense dominated. The offense showed off its wealth of playmakers. Quarterback Winston looked like a Heisman Trophy candidate. If the Seminoles -- who had some iffy moments at Boston College a week earlier -- were just ramping up to optimum levels before beginning preparation for Clemson, then excellent planning, Jimbo Fisher. Here's an interesting sportswriter bar argument that came up this week. We can probably agree that Oregon and Stanford give the Pac-12 the nation's best conference tandem. Would Clemson and Florida State give the ACC the No. 2 pairing ahead of the SEC's Alabama and Georgia? Only one of those teams has a loss, and it's Georgia at Clemson. A week from Saturday, either Florida State or Clemson will have a loss as well. The other will be aiming at the national title.
More from Tomahawk Nation:
- Florida State football recruiting: 5-stars Malachi Dupre, Marlon Humphrey discussing FSU
- ACC, NCAA say Jacobbi McDaniel hit on C.J. Brown was not targeting
- Florida State at Clemson: 8 pm, ABC, College Gameday?
- Noles earn 20th spiked baseball for shutting out Maryland
- Noles News 10.07.13: Grading Florida State over Maryland
- Florida State 63 Maryland 0: Game notes
- Video: Nick O'Leary on FSU's big win over Maryland
- Video: Jameis Winston on Florida State's dominant win over Maryland
- Florida State moves up in the rankings
- FSU shows discipline on defense
- Florida State shuts down Maryland Offense, Stefon Diggs in blowout victory
- VIDEO: Florida State's Jimbo Fisher after Maryland
- Florida State crushes Maryland 63-0