So, FSU is #2 in the BCS (#1 with most of the computers), and all the Noles have to do now is win out... so, how confident are you? Worried at all? Going undefeated wasn't easy when the season was 11 games and there was no conference championship game; now, you have to win 12 regular season games AND the ACC CG just to make it to the BCS Title game (and next year, that'll be a 2-game affair itself).
After the Oregon loss, I posted an article on my blog about "Why Undefeated Teams Lose". At the time I was thinking about Oregon, but the more I thought about it, I started thinking about Florida State. Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather it be Va Tech in your shoes! Still, there's no question that VT (and indeed, all of the ACC's "football" schools) benefit from an FSU National Chamionship. Consider the ways:
1) each team gets an extra $1.2 million
2) all of the teams below FSU move up 1 bowl slot
3) possibly 1 more team gets to go to a bowl
3) it will help the ACC in general when it comes to preseason rankings next year
4) it will help ACC teams recruit - hey, you get to play against the defending BCS champs!
Still, if FSU should stumble against Syracuse, Florida, the Coastal Division Champ, or God-forbid, Idaho, it's "game over, man!". So here's my poll question to Tomahawk Nation: