The ACC released football schedules from 2014-2024 this summer. They're forcing annual match ups with Boston College, Syracuse, Louisville & Wake Forest because they happen to be in the same division, while only scheduling North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech & Georgia Tech twice every 12 years.
If John Swofford can get the NCAA to change its' rule about conferences needing 2 divisions to have a championship game, FSU can enjoy playing football in the ACC a lot more. Luckily, the SEC & B1G have the same problems with their 14 teams because we all know Swofford needs help.
The rule should be each school had 3 annual rivals & should play the other 10 schools every other year (5 games) for a total of 8 conference games. Then #1 would play #2 in the ACC Conference Championship. No more #12 10-2 FSU vs 6-6 Ga Tech. Here are the annual rivals: (#s are times schools have played since 1933/80 years & miles between campuses)
|Miami||vs||FSU 47x, 475 mi
||Pitt 32x, 1175 mi
||BC 29x, 1495 mi
|FSU||vs||Miami 47x, 475 mi
||Clemson 26x, 355 mi||Ga Tech 22x, 265 mi
|Ga Tech||vs||Clemson 57x, 125 mi||Virginia 35x, 510 mi
||FSU 22x, 265 mi|
|Clemson||vs||Ga Tech 57x, 125 mi
||FSU 26x, 355 mi
||NC State 69x, 280 mi
- Clemson, FSU & Tech all play each other. FSU wants to travel to Atlanta b/c it's the closet ACC school & also plays Miami. Clemson plays NC State (Textile Bowl). Tech plays Virginia (nerds!). Miami plays Big East rivals Pitt & BC (yankees).
|UNC||vs||NC State 76x, 30 mi
||Duke 81x, 10 mi
||Virginia 80x, 180 mi
|NC State||vs||UNC 76x, 30mi
||Wake 80x, 105 mi
||Clemson 69x, 280 m|
|Duke||vs||Wake 78x, 80 mi
||UNC 81x, 10 mi||Cuse 2x, 625 mi
|Wake||vs||Duke 78x, 80 mi
||NC State 80x, 105 mi
||BC 20x, 770 mi
- All the NC schools play 2 other NC schools. UNC plays Virginia (South's Oldest Rivalry). Duke & Wake play the 2 private schools from up north because who else would want to play any of those 4?
|Va Tech||vs||Virginia 75x, 150 mi
||Lville 7x, 385 mi
||Pitt 12x, 320 mi
|Virginia||vs||Va Tech 75x, 150 mi||Ga Tech 35x, 510 mi
||UNC 80x, 180 mi
|Lville||vs||Pitt 16x, 390 mi
||Va Tech 7x, 385 mi
||Cuse 12x, 675 mi
- Virginia & Va Tech play each other. Va Tech plays Lville & Pitt. (Big East) Lville plays Cuse & Pitt (Big East).
|Pitt||vs||Lville 16x, 390 mi
||Miami 32x, 1175 mi||Va Tech 12x, 320 mi
|Cuse||vs||BC 45x, 305 mi
||Lville 12x, 675 mi
||Duke 2x, 625 mi
|BC||vs||Cuse 45x, 305 mi
||Miami 29x, 1495 mi
||Wake 20x, 770 mi
- BC & Cuse play each other. There unfortunately wasn't room for them to play Pitt annually.
So FSU's schedule for the first 6 years could look like this. It would start completely over every 12 years when the 4 year cycles (5 rotating conference games) & 6 year cycles (out of conference) synced up. (# in parenthesis is miles from campus)
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|5-Sep||@ Tampa, FL (245)||Notre Dame||@ Auburn AL (195)||Auburn||@ South Bend IN (680)||Central Florida|
||Florida Atlantic||Georgia Southern||Florida International||South Alabama||Florida Atlantic|
|19-Sep||Georgia Tech||@ Atlanta GA (265)||Georgia Tech||@ Atlanta GA (265)||Georgia Tech||@ Atlanta GA (265)|
|26-Sep||Boston College||@ Syracuse NY (1205)||@ Boston MA (1305)||Syracuse||Boston College||@ Syracuse NY (1205)|
- Week 1 kicks off the season with a big game to build offseason hype. ACC has Notre Dame on the schedule every 3rd year. FSU should renew rivalry with Auburn in between games. Schools are only 195 miles apart. Teams have met 18 times but series hasn't been placed since 1990. Auburn went 12-1-1 from 1954-1985. It looks like once FSU went 42-6 from '87-90 & 3-1 vs Auburn, Auburn cancelled the series. This is conjecture & maybe conjecture isn't helping but the SEC is chicken shit to play tough out of conference games (see what happens when Tennessee plays Oregon) for fear of losing their reputation. Auburn played Washington State this year, Kansas State next year & Louisville in 2015. Then the other 3 games are all cupcakes... Usually it's Alabama beating up on another conference's mid-tier team & the announcer's talk about the SEC's greatness. I'd like to see Auburn play FSU twice every 6 years. Should be a big ACC-SEC rivalry like Clemson-Georgia.
- For the last 2 OOC spots, FSU should make 2 for 1 deals with the directional mid-major schools. Play UCF in Tallahassee Year 1 & Year 6 & in Orlando Year 7. Play USF in Tallahassee Year 7 & Year 12 & in Tampa Year 1.
- Week 2 is an organized scrimmage against a mid-major from the Sun Belt or C-USA. Play FAU & FIU once each every 4 years. Mix in Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, Troy. Year 1 & Year 7 are in-state road trips to Tampa & Orlando as part of a 2 for 1 scheduling deal with USF & UCF. They're both close roadtrips to big markets filled with FSU alumni.
- Week 3 is an annual game vs Georgia Tech. Atlanta is easily the closet ACC school to Tallahassee - as close as Orlando & Tampa are - another close roadtrip to a big market filled with FSU alumni. Needs to be played every year but early on the schedule b/c the 2 aren't rivals.
- Week 4 alternates between private yankee schools. Need this game early on the schedule so the Noles won't freeze on long road trips and Winter is Coming.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|3-Oct||@ Pittsburgh PA (925)||Louisville||Pittsburgh||@ Louisville KY (660)||@ Pittsburgh PA (925)||Louisville|
|10-Oct||Virginia Tech||@ Raleigh NC (575)||North Carolina State||@ Blacksburg VA (650)||Virginia Tech||@ Raleigh NC (575)|
|24-Oct||@ Clemson SC (355)||Clemson||@ Clemson SC (355)||Clemson||@ Clemson SC (355)||Clemson|
|31-Oct||Wake Forest||Duke||@ Winston-Salem NC (560)||@ Durham NC (600)||Wake Forest||Duke|
- Week 5 is the other road trip against Big East teams. I think these 2 take football more serious as public & semi-public schools.
- Week 6 play Virginia Tech or NC State. I accept Va Tech & Miami as ACC schools. The conference should have accepted them in 1993 with FSU & made Penn State the 12th school. Would have given SEC a run for their money, even without kicking Wake out for West Virginia. SEC was a 12-team conference in 1992. It took the ACC until 2005. Short-sided.
- Week 7 is the midway point through the season. A great time for a bye week to prepare for the annual ACC Championship Game.
- FSU played Clemson in Week 8 this year & it came at a good time on the schedule. Last week before the BCS rankings come out. Plenty of time left for the loser to climb in the polls & the winner time to build hype for a playoff run.
- Week 9 is the 2nd organized scrimmage against glorified high schools Duke & Wake. Should be a noon kickoff & let the students rest up before their Halloween parties.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|7-Nov||@ Chapel Hill NC (620)||@ Charlottesville VA (750)||North Carolina||Virginia||@ Chapel Hill NC (620)||@ Charlottesville VA (400)|
|14-Nov||@ Miami FL (470)||Miami||@ Miami FL (470)||Miami||@ Miami FL (470)||Miami|
|21-Nov||Charleston Southern||Florida A&M||Bethune-Cookman||Savannah State||Florida A&M||Alabama State|
|29-Nov||Florida||@ Gainesville FL (145)||Florida||@ Gainesville FL (145)||Florida||@ Gainesville FL (145)|
- Week 10 is against public ivys & old money schools UNC & UVA. They will have had 3 months for their wine & cheese to age before the game so their tailgates will be raucous.
- Week 11 is against Miami, same as in 2011. Play them this late in the season since they're in-state rivals. There's some nice symmetry here with Georgia-Auburn & Clemson-Georgia Tech playing this week too. Good weekend of southern college football.
- Week 12 is the 3rd organized scrimmage against a nearby FCS school. Play in-state Florida A&M & Bethune-Cookman once each every 4 years. Mix in Charleston Southern, Savannah State, Alabama State, Citadel, Mercer & Coastal Carolina. 2nd week of practice for:
- Week 13. Florida Cup vs. the Gators. Must win.
|7-Dec||ACC Championship, Charlotte (480 mi)
|3-Jan||Orange Bowl , Miami (470 mi)
- ACC Championship Game will be the 1st place team vs the 2nd place team. No more Atlantic vs Coastal. Last year it would have been #12 FSU (10-2) vs #14 Clemson (10-2). This year it could be #2 FSU (12-0) vs #7 Clemson (11-1).
- Orange Bowl is ACC Champion (or 2nd place team if Champ is in Playoffs) vs SEC #2, B1G #2 or Notre Dame.
- Play Florida, Ga Tech & NCST/VPI at home in odd years & Miami, Clemson & Auburn/Notre Dame/UCF-USF at home in even years.This splits the 6 biggest games up.
- Alternate the other 8 ACC schools through the remaining 4 spots - 2 home, 2 away each year for a total of 7 home games & 5 away games.
- Start the season with a big out of conference game, take a break, play 4 ACC games, take a break, play 4 more ACC games, take a break & finish with another big out of conference game.
- It looks like our strength of schedule in the ACC would go up & the diversity would create more interesting match ups.
- We could schedule games out until 2025 & BEYOND. Want to get married during football season? No problem. Planning on a kid? No problem. Wife nagging you for a fall vacation to see the foliage? No problem. You have all time in the world for life events during Week 2 (FBS mid major), Week 7 (bye), Week 9 (Duke/Wake) & Week 12 (FCS).
Every 12 years play opponents...
12 times - Florida, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech
6 times - UNC, UVA, Va Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake, Lville, Pitt, Cuse, BC
4 times - Auburn, Notre Dame
3 times - South Florida, Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman
1 time - Ga Southern, Ga State, South Alabama, Troy & Charleston Southern, Savannah State, Alabama State, Citadel, Mercer, Coastal Carolina
Here's how I'd match up the SEC. The # = # of times the schools have played in the last 80 years (SEC's 1st year, 1933-2012).
|Florida||vs||Georgia 79x, 350 mi
||Auburn 71x, 315 mi
||Sakerlina 25x, 360 mi
|Georgia||vs||Florida 79x, 350 mi
||Auburn 79x, 170 mi
||Sakerlina 55x, 160 mi
|Sakerlina||vs||Georgia 55x, 160 mi
||Florida 25x, 360 mi
||Bama 15x, 415 mi
|Auburn||vs||Bama 65x, 160 mi
||Georgia 79x, 170 mi
||Florida 71x, 315 mi
|Bama||vs||Auburn 65x, 160 mi
||Tenn 79x, 170 mi
||Sakerlina 15x, 415 mi
|Tenn||vs||Bama 79x, 170 mi
||Kentucky 80x, 170 mi
||Vandy 78x, 180 mi
|Vandy||vs||Tenn 78x, 180 mi
||Kentucky 70x, 215 mi
||Mizzou 3x, 430 mi
|Mizzou||vs||Arkansas 4x, 290 mi
||Kentucky 2x, 260 mi
||Vandy 3x, 430 mi
|Kentucky||vs||Tenn 80x, 170 mi
||Vandy 70x, 215 mi
||Mizzou 2x, 260 mi
|Ole Miss||vs||Miss St 79x, 100 mi
||LSU 78x, 345 mi
||Arkansas 53x, 380 mi
|Miss St||vs||Ole Miss 79x, 100 mi
||LSU 79x, 300 mi
||A&M 3x, 570 mi
|LSU||vs||A&M 39x, 340 mi
||Miss St 79x, 300 mi
||Ole Miss 78x, 345 mi
|Arkansas||vs||A&M 62x, 475 mi
||Ole Miss 53x, 380 mi
||Mizzou 4x, 290 mi
|A&M||vs||Arkansas 62x, 475 mi
||LSU 39x, 340 mi
||Miss St 3x, 570 mi
I think this would work out great for all 3 conferences& as for the B1G:
|Penn St||vs||Ohio St||Maryland||Rutgers|
|Ohio St||vs||Michigan||Penn St||Mich St|
|Michigan||vs||Ohio St||Mich St||Nebraska|
|Mich St||vs||Michigan||Ohio St||Illinois|
Enjoy Rutgers & Indiana Terps.
Here's the Clemson version: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/11/13/5100648/clemsons-perfect-schedule-in-the-14-team-acc
Almost identical. Week 1 Georgia/Notre Dame/Auburn or Tennessee. NC State Week 3. Bye Week 7. FSU Week 8. Ga Tech Week 11. Sakerlina Week 13. The 5 rotational ACC matchups are in the same order as FSU's but the 2 teams are flipped. Other ACC teams scheduled could be paired up like Clemson's/FSU's are based on parity.