Lots of info today. As always, we funnel coverage (except in the next couple of days) to the 2010 Big Board and the 2010 Recruiting Map. If you have a question, and there isn't a post on the front page, ask it in the 2010 BB. Remember to get out and watch these prospects play. On to the coverage.
Current commits: (click the links to read more)
- DL Darious Cummings (note: Cummings committed before FSUncensored took over the site.)
- S Chad Abrams (note: we did an overview in a March WORT after Abrams committed.)
- DE Tavaris Barnes
- Holmes Onwukaife
- De'Joshua Johnson
- Tank Sessions
- Telvin Smith
- Jared Haggins
- Terrence Brooks
- Cameron Erving
- Clint Trickett
- Nigel Terrell
- The 2011 Big Board will debut in December.
- Lowndes LB Telvin Smith "decommitted" from FSU and is now down to the 'Noles, UGA, and UF. I do think he remains a Seminole (especially after a new DC).
- There is a rumor going around that 2011 Lowndes DB Tyler Hunter (heavy FSU lean) will never play football again. The rumor is that he has spinal stenosis. Prayers for the kid if true. Can anyone confirm or debunk this rumor?
- There will be a pretty good visitor haul for the Maryland game. JuCo DE Wayne Dorsey, DE Adrian Hubbard, JuCo DT Amp McCloud, JuCo RB Debrale Smiley, and TE Tank Sessions are a few expected in. I happen to think that one of these players (and/or Charles Deas and the unofficials) will commit to FSU on their visit.
- Glades Central ATH Greg Dent straight up murdered the Muck Bowl. 6 catches for 188 yards and 2 TDs; an kickoff return for a TD; 3 PBUs on defense. Dent will probably be visiting FSU for the Maryland game. Dent just has a burst that cannot be measured in a combine setting. I think he will be in this class.
- Everyone knows by now that Dwyer DB Matt Elam took an official visit to FSU for the NC State. Though he reportedly had a great time, I still think he ends up a Gator. The only thing FSU has going for it is playing time.
- Tampa Catholic WR Christian Green still has not committed to anyone. Good news; I still think he will be wearing garnet and gold at this time next year.
STA DB Lamarcus Joyner did not drop FSU. Joyner will be here for the Maryland game.
- Lake Howell LB Christian Jones took a visit to Tennessee on October 31 and another one to Alabama the next week. FSU fans should be thanking their lucky stars because of Jones' love for the school and his family ties. I would not expect a decision from him until FSU's DC is named.
- Tampa CB Terrence Mitchell is not impressing observers this season. FSU will receive his final visit, but he is likely favoring USF right now.
- ATH Hasean Clinton Dix (2011) is a recruit that was passed along via Athetevault. He played primarily RB at Orlando (Edgewater) but has since transfered to Orlando (Dr. Phillips) and is playing primarily Safety. He is much better on defense, but is probably D-1 at either (BCS caliber at S). There is RB Film at athletevault under player profiles, S film is FREE right here.
- Columbus Carver DE Corey Crawford has really improved over the last year. He is a much more explosive player. He has been committed to Clemson since July, but he made a visit to FSU for a game in October. He is a recruit that the 'Noles could have a decent chance of turning.
- Hialeah DL Corey Lemonier and Calvin Smith might be in town for the Maryland game. I still just cannot see these kids in FSU's class. I'm hoping though.
- Homestead DB Keith Baxter is a new name for 2011 class. Charles Fishbein of ESS ran a story on this kid, and I found one of his profiles here. Measurables of 6'0'' 180 4.35 (confirmed) are pretty good, don't you think?
- Treasure Coast LB Jeff Luc will be here for the Maryland game on an unofficial. Rumors still out there that he doesn't qualify for an EE.
- On the new uniforms - As long as the recruits like them, they are cool with me. The players seem to really like them, and I can't believe that the recruits who are here to see them up close and personal won't have similar feelings. Recruits seem to dig stuff like this.
Inside - A potential DC's recruiting base, the Manuel effect, and a new DE offer (with video!)
Recent Offer: DE Adrian Hubbard (Norcross High School, Norcross, GA)
As you can probably see, this kid has a lot of potential. Seems like an athletic freak, he took his junior year off from football. He is a big basketball player as well. Uses his hands really well, and he flashes a great getoff on some of the plays. Likes Bama, FSU, and South Carolina the most. Hubbard will be visiting FSU on November 2st for the Maryland game (official visit). This kid could be Julius Peppers if he realizes his potential (along with the right coach of course).
EJ Manuel Starts Against Wake Forest - Good for Recruiting?
Duh. This is obvious. Especially after Manuel's excellent performance. FSU can now point to all its offensive recruits and say, "That's your quarterback." Besides, it proves (as if there was doubt) that Jimbo Fisher can develop a QB. I was pretty impressed with Manuel's first start, and you must assume that 2011 stud QB Christian Lemay (who lives in North Carolina) was watching. Here's hoping that Lemay was impressed, as Coach Fisher has been on him for almost a year. He is probably the top target in the 2011 class.
The Importance of December 2009 and January 2010
December and January of this year might be two of the most pivotal months in FSU's football history. I am willing to bet that the new defensive coordinator will want to announce his staff quickly. Fisher knows they must hit ground running if they want to save this defensive class from ruin. I would expect major targets visited in first few days (ie Joyner, Jones, ect). There will be no wasted time.
The importance of January is obvious. The new defensive staff has to erase months (and maybe years) of negative recruiting from other schools. They have to sell their new scheme and resume to recruits. I think that several major recruits are just waiting on the new DC to be announced - just so they can feel good about FSU. Hopefully the new staff can have a Kiffin-like impact. Remember how well Tennessee finished last year with a new staff? Let's hope the 'Noles can repeat this feat.
A look at one potential DC's recruiting base:
(note: I don't know who the new DC will be. I honestly don't think anyone really knows. Try to keep the comments section from a guessing game.)
|Keenan Allen||DB||6-3||195||4.56||Greensboro, NC|
|Alfy Hill||DE||6-4||222||4.59||Shallotte, NC|
|Wilson Love||DE||6-4||235||4.8||Birmingham, AL|
|Phillip Sims||QB||6-2||209||4.8||Chesapeake, VA|
|Jordan Hicks||LB||6-2||220||4.58||West Chester, OH|
|Gabe King||DE||6-6||253||4.6||Eugene, OR|
|Arie Kouandjio||OL||6-6||314||5.2||Hyattsville, MD|
|LaDarius Owens||LB||6-2||225||4.49||Bessemer, AL|
|Connor Wood||QB||6-4||209||4.6||Houston, TX|
Looking at this table, we can conclude that Sunseri recruits the Virginia and North Carolina areas extremely well. Seeing as he used to be the Carolina Panther's DL coach, this makes sense. He has a very good reputation in that area. The Atlantic Coast is not really a strength of FSU; so, if Sunseri is hired, prospects in that area would probably take a harder look at FSU given a call from Sunseri.
How would Sunseri affect the 2010 FSU recruiting class if he is hired?
It would obviously help FSU. These prospects want to know who will be coaching them for the next three to four years of football. Sal is a pretty active recruiter; so, if one of those prospects happened to stop by Tuscaloosa for a visit, they probably ran into Sunseri. I do think that Sunseri would close with most of the 'Noles major targets if he came to FSU.
Travis Jones: Jones is currently working for the Saints. He used to be the defensive line coach for the LSU Tigers. He recruited and coached many of the defensive lineman that LSU is known for (Dorsey, ect.).
How would Jones affect the 2010 FSU recruiting class if he is hired?
I don't think that Jones would have the immediate affect that Sunseri would. First off, his name is not that well known among recruits. Jones proved to be a good recruiter while at LSU, but I would think that it would take time to built relationships with high school coaches and players.
|Ronald Carswell||WR||6-0||180||4.5||Macon, GA|
|Corey Grant||RB||5-10||186||4.4||Opelika, AL|
|DeMarcus Milliner||DB||6-1||180||4.45||Millbrook, AL|
|Nick Perry||DB||6-2||195||4.49||Prattville, AL|
|Austin Shepherd||OL||6-4||316||5.5||Suwanee, GA|
|Brian Vogler||TE||6-7||248||4.67||Columbus, GA|
|Markeith Ambles||WR||6-2||182||4.65||McDonough, GA|
|Brandon Burrows||DE||6-3||240||4.7||Marietta, GA|
|Adrian Hubbard||DE||6-7||227||Norcross, GA|
|Jawuan James||OL||6-6||293||5.3||Suwanee, GA|
|Ken Malcome||RB||6-0||213||4.54||Decatur, GA|
|Dequan Menzie||DB||5-11||200||Wesson, MS|
|Craig Sanders||DE||6-4||230||4.6||Ariton, AL|
|Jawara White||LB||6-2||220||4.58||Troy, AL|
Smart is a great recruiter. Young and energetic, he recruits the Southeast area for Alabama mostly. Smart, who is from Bainbridge, GA, really works over the Georgia area for the Tide. There are no concerns about recruiting with Kirby.
How would Smart affect the 2010 FSU recruiting class if he is hired?
I have reason to believe he would have a very positive affect. First off, he has made contact with many of the major recruits FSU is involved with. Some of these kids are pretty familiar with Smart. Kids also know how good this Alabama defense has been this year. In my opinion, Smart would be the one guy that could easily secure FSU's major defensive targets, and then he might possibly take it to another level.
If in fact Smart or Sunseri is named the DC, do not expect any 'Bama commits to switch to FSU.
That's all for today. The next update will probably be after the UF game.