FSU defensive ends Bjoern Werner and Brandon Jenkins (for the 2nd straight year) are two of the 42 college football defensive players, representing 35 universities, who were named to the 2012 Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List.
The Lott Trophy is an award that is presented to the top college football Defensive Impact Player of the Year, who best exemplifies integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community, tenacity, and outstanding achievements both on and off the playing field.
Voting for the Lott IMPACT Trophy will take place throughout the season, with the quarter-finalists named in late October and semifinalists named in early November. The winner will be announced at the annual black-tie awards banquet Dec. 9 at the Pacific Club in Newport Beach.
"Each year we are proud to present a list of college football players who exemplify the things we believe in," said Ronnie Lott. "This group is no exception. These young men are terrific players and great role models, both on and off the field."
The Big Ten leads all conferences with 9 players, followed by the Pac-12 with 8, and the ACC and Big 12 both with 7, the SEC with 5 and the MWC with 2. Boston College's Luke Kuechly won the award last season. This years list consists of 11 defensive linemen, 18 linebackers and 13 defensive backs.
The winner's school will receive $25,000 for its general scholarship fund, while the three other finalists will receive $5,000 for their schools.
The full list of players and more about the award after the jump.
2012 Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
- David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
- Chris Borland, LB,. Wisconsin
- John Boyett, FS. Oregon
- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
- Brodrick Brown, CB, Oklahoma State
- Jonathan Brown, LB, Illinois
- Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State
- Tra’ves Bush, S, Navy
- Kyle Fuller, DB, Virginia Tech
- Steve Greer, LB, Virginia
- Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State
- Demontre Hurst, DB, Oklahoma
- Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
- Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida State
- Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
- A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State
- Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State
- Jordan Kovacs, S, Michigan
- Patrick Larimore, LB, UCLA
- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
- Brandon Magee, LB, Arizona State
- T.J. McDonald, S, USC
- Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
- Brandon Ogletree, LB, BYU
- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
- J.C. Percy, LB, Boise State
- Ray Polk, S, Colorado
- Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
- Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina
- Eric Reid, S, LSU
- Luke Ruff, S, Wyoming
- Kawaan Short, DT, Purdue
- John Simon, DT, Ohio State
- Baker Steinkuhler, DT, Nebraska
- Mike Taylor, LB, Wisconsin
- Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
- Chase Thomas, LB, Stanford
- Joe Vellano, DT, Maryland
- Bjoern Warner, DE, Florida State
- Zach Watts, LB, Army
- Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
Named after Pro Football Hall of Fame member, Ronnie Lott, The Lott IMPACT Trophy is awarded to college football’s Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year. Founded in 2004 by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation, The Lott Trophy is the first and only college football award to equally recognize athletic performance and the personal character attributes of the player. The Lott Trophy is given to the player who exhibits the same characteristics Lott embodied during his distinguished career: Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity. Voters for the award include selected members of the national media, previous finalists, the Board of Directors of the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation and a distinguished group of former college football head coaches. To date, the Foundation has donated more than $900,000 to various charities throughout the country. The ninth annual Lott Trophy dinner will be held Dec. 9th at The Pacific Club in Newport Beach, California.