Florida State's Mario Edwards, Jr. and Rashad Greene have earned ACC player of the week honors.
Edwards powered the Seminoles’ victory over Virginia with a career-best and team-high nine tackles, including four tackles for loss in addition to a forced fumble and a sack. Seven of his tackles were solo stops. On Virginia’s first offensive play, Edwards tackled Cavaliers’ running back Kevin Parks for a three-yard loss and forced a fumble. On Virginia’s third play, Edwards again stopped Parks for a three-yard loss. Later in the second quarter, Edwards had a sack for a four-yard loss and finished with six tackles and three tackles for loss by halftime. His 4.0 tackles for loss are the most by a Seminole in a single game this season. Edwards’ efforts up front helped the Seminoles hold the Cavaliers to just 37 yards rushing – a season-low for an FSU opponent.
From Florida State
-Edwards had nine tackles, including four for loss.
Another Big Game for Greene:
FSU senior wide receiver Rashad Greene had another big performance on Saturday night:
- Greene's career-high 13 catches are the most by an FSU player in a single game since former WR Lawrence Dawsey had 13 against Miami in 1990. It is tied for the fifth-most catches in a game at FSU.
- He finished with 13 receptions for 136 yards, marking his 13th career 100-yard receiving game to tie E.G. Green for third on the FSU list.
- • He moved up the ACC career receptions and receiving yards chart. Greene is now third in ACC history with 3,454 receiving yards and second in conference history with 242 career catches.
- • Greene recorded his 27th career touchdown reception tonight, which is fourth in school history behind E.G. Green (29), Greg Carr (29) and Peter Warrick (31).
- • He was the recipient of quarterback Jameis Winston's first six pass completions tonight, and caught one pass in his 38th straight game. Greene is one game shy of tying the school record of 39 straight games with a catch held by Rodney Smith.
- • In six ACC games this year, Greene has recorded 48 catches for 598 yards and three TDs. For the season, he has 989 yards receiving.