clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Florida State falls at Georgia Tech 22-16

Florida State falls to 6-1 (4-1) with the defeat at Georgia Tech.

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

For the first time in 29 games, Florida State fell to an ACC opponent losing at Georgia Tech 22-16.

The FSU defense left off where they were against Louisville with Josh Sweat recording an interception after he tipped the pass on Geogia Tech's first possession. Despite having the ball first and goal from the two-yard line, they could only manage a field goal. After the FSU defense could contain the triple option momentarily, Georgia Tech got on the board with a 53-yard field goal, tying the game at three, which is how the first quarter would end.

Josh Sweat would once again get Florida State the ball as his pass rush would force a bad throw to be intercepted by Lamarcus Brutus. Brutus would return it to the two yard line where Dalvin Cook would finish the job for his 11th rushing touchdown of the season. Just as Florida State was gaining momentum following a second field goal, Georgia Tech scored on a 60-yard touchdown rush, trimming the lead to three. Florida State would kick their third field goal of the game as the first half ended. Despite going into halftime with a 16-10 lead, it was evident there would be continuing struggles to come.

Dalvin Cook got the ball much more than the previous games in the first half. He rushed in 42% of plays run by FSU compared to 26.7% in the six first halves prior to tonight. Everett Golson did not throw a touchdown in the first half for the second consecutive game, and has yet to throw for one in the second quarter.

There were two completed drives by both teams in the third quarter. Georgia Tech converted a field goal in their drive while Florida State was only able to run five plays before punting as Georgia Tech possessed the ball for 12:16.

Entering the fourth quarter with a three point lead, Florida State committed their first offensive turnover of the season on their first drive of the quarter. Travis Rudolph could not secure a pass in the end zone which was tipped up and caught by Georgia Tech. With less than three minutes left, Derwin James allowed a huge fourth down conversion which let Geogia Tech tie the game at 16 with a minute left.  Roberto Aguayo then came on to attempt a 56-yard field goal. The attempt was blocked and returned for a touchdown as time expired, capping an incredible frustrating second half and game by Florida State.

In total, the Noles had 115 yards of total offense in the second half, and finished the day 2-10 on third downs. Florida State had many opportunities to score and put the game away, but were unsuccessful. The most important stat in a game is points---Florida State did not score in the second half.

After getting the ball 13 times in the first half, Dalvin Cook finished with 17 carries for 82 yards and a touchdown. Everett Golson could not get the ball rolling all night, finishing 20-29 with 210 yards and an interception. Kermit Whitfield led receivers with six receptions.

Although many of his great plays did not appear in the box score, Josh Sweat's pass presence allowed Florida State to intercept the ball twice, once by him. After a good first half showing by the defense in which they only allowed 10 points and 151 rushing yards, the defense came out the half struggling mightily, and continued to, giving up 246 rushing yards total. Ro'Derrick Hoskins led the team with seven tackles while Lamarcus Brutus added an interception.

Despite only committing six penalties, the triple option offense of Georgia Tech kept them on the field, not giving Florida State many opportunities to score. Florida State was only able to run five plays in the whole third quarter.

The Seminoles will return to Tallahassee and prepare to take on the Syracuse Orange this Saturday at Doak Campbell.