- CBS Sports' Jon Solomon selected Jimbo Fisher as the best ACC coach in close games.
Fisher wrote the book last season on how to win close games, going 7-0 in one-possession contests. That's an absurdly high single-season rate. With Jameis Winston now gone, there's nowhere to go but down for Fisher in close games. Still, Fisher has won 10 straight one-possession games, with the last loss coming against North Carolina State in 2012.
- A pair of FSU true freshmen are included in SI's 15 freshmen to watch list that was put together by Chris Johnson.
- Tom D'Angelo of the Palm Beach Post discusses LB Terrance Smith's new leadership role on this year's team.
- Bob Ferrante of The Osceola tells of Demarcus Walker's developing relationship with FSU's new DL coach Brad Lawing.
- A pair of midseason road game for the Seminoles were included in CFB 24/7's Chase Goodbread's countdown of the top 15 games for the upcoming season.
What was one of the most compelling games in the ACC last year moves to Death Valley, where the Seminoles will be challenged to win with a new face at quarterback. The Tigers' bigger task might be to slow down FSU's star-in-the-making rusher, Dalvin Cook, with some inexperience of its own along the defensive front.
Yellow Jackets quarterback Justin Thomas gave a marvelously-talented FSU defense fits last season, operating the triple-option offense with machine-like precision. The Seminoles aren't expected to have as much defense this year, while Georgia Tech's porous defense from a season ago should be at least somewhat improved. A close game here, particularly with Tech at home, is to be expected.
- Brandon Plotnick of the FSView writes about Jalen Ramsey's move back to cornerback.