The 'Noles practiced for the first time this fall, donning shorts and helmets in overcast weather with temperatures in the mid 80s.
- There was a certain edge at practice today, especially for a first day. Head coach Jimbo Fisher could be heard exhorting his team, even during stretching, by yelling "What's your purpose? What are you here for?" The staff got on the team early, running them in pursuit drills at the onset of practice.
- Sean Maguire led the quarterbacks through calisthenics and took the initial reps outside. He was followed by J.J. Cosentino and Everett Golson.
- Running back reps went to Mario Pender, Johnathan Vickers, Jacques Patrick, and Freddie Stevenson, in that order.
- A few players practiced shagging punts: Bobo Wilson, Travis Rudolph, Kermit Whitfield, and freshman Nyqwan Murray.
- Linebacker Reggie Northrup looked quite mobile in the wake of knee surgery. Fisher categorized him as 100% earlier today. Chris Casher practiced with a sleeve on his left leg. Da'Vante Phillips practiced -- he's coming off a groin tear. Chad Mavety worked out as well.
- Several players did not practice today, as Fisher indicated would be the case at his press conference earlier today. Josh Sweat and Ryan Hoefeld were limited, as both practiced with braces on their knee (or in Hoefeld's case, knees), and Deondre Francois is in a walking boot with crutches. Fisher said he's about a week and a half out -- but that could be a bit ambitious. Lorenzo Phillips was not practicing today. Evidently, FSU is waiting on something to get straightened out with his transcripts.
- Tight end prospect Naseir Upshur was supposed to be at FSU sometime today, but he was not at practice.