- David Hale of ESPN put together his weekly ACC power rankings and moved Florida State up a spot to No. 2. Clemson is the new No. 1 as they replace Georgia Tech, who fell to No. 3, after their loss at Notre Dame that was not nearly as close as the final score would indicate.
Boston College bottled up the running game, and Everett Golson hardly looked ready to carry the load on his own, throwing for just 119 yards (5.0 per attempt). But while the passing game gets the kinks worked out, FSU’s defense looks much improved, led by Terrance Smith and Jalen Ramsey, who combined to cause a fumble and return it for a score.
- Joey Weaver of From the Rumble Seat grades how Georgia Tech's position groups performed in their loss at Notre Dame this past Saturday. Most notable of all, Justin Thomas, who many have touted as the best quarterback to run the triple option for the Ramblin' Wreck in Paul Johnson's time as head coach, received a D+ grade for the game.
You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a worse game that Justin Thomas has played at Georgia Tech. Something was just...off about him. Decisions seemed less crisp, pitches were off-target, and he didn't complete a pass in the first half. He was very visibly frustrated at a couple of points in the game, which is troublesome given how calm, cool, and collected he usually is. He spent 4 timeouts throughout the game to save the offense from a delay of game penalty as he spent a long time directing traffic before the snap.
He got a little better in the second half, but a lot of times he wasn't getting help in the form of pass protection or receivers getting open. In general, it was an iffy-to-bad afternoon from Thomas. Hopefully there aren't any repeats of it.
- With starting QB Terrel Hunt already out for the season, Syracuse may be starting their third-string quarterback on Saturday against LSU as backup quarterback Eric Dungey is "probably doubtful" for the game as reported by Justin Neuman of TNIAAM. With the starter out indefinitely and the second-string recovering from an injury that could keep him out for extended time, Syracuse would likely need a Herculean effort from the rest of their team to knock off Florida State when the teams meet on Halloween in Tallahassee.
- Jalen Ramsey comes in as the fifth overall pick to the Washington Redskins in Dane Brugler's latest NFL mock draft for CBS Sports. At No. 5 overall, Ramsey is the first defensive back taken in the mock, ahead of Vernon Hargreaves III at No. 9 and Kendall Fuller at No. 12.
Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State: The Redskins will be in the market for a quarterback with this pick, but they also need help at other positions on the roster, including adding an impact defender in the secondary. Ramsey is a hybrid defensive back with a very high football ceiling.
- Andy Staples discussed whether the ACC will have a playoff team or not, among other things, in his latest weekly column for Sports Illustrated. Truthfully, it is still a bit early to have a informed opinion on the ACC's chances to make the CFP. Neither of the two teams that are talked about the most (Clemson and FSU) have played any team that can match up with them well enough to give them a true challenge.
Recruiting: Josh Newberg of Noles247 reports that 2016 5* DT Shavar Manuel is planning multiple visits to FSU this year. Manuel's crystal ball currently sits at 73% for Florida State. ($)