During the pre-draft process, Telvin Smith was not a player that NFL scouts and analysts thought highly of.
At 6-3, 215-pounds, some thought Smith was too small to play linebacker in the NFL and needed to move to safety. But Smith refused to change positions and was eventually drafted in the fifth round by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Four years later?
Jaguars giving LB Telvin Smith a 4 year, $50 million extension, source tells ESPN.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 26, 2017
Since coming into the league, Smith has been a playmaker for the Jaguars at weak-side linebacker. Per ESPN, Smith has lead all Jaguars players in basically every defensive category since 2014. His efforts were rewarded with a 4-year, $50 million extension that will keep him in Jacksonville for quite some time.
At only 26-years old, Smith is in the prime of his career and has a great chance to sign another extension down the line.
Atlanta Falcons (25-20 win over the Jets)
- Devonta Freeman, RB: Rushed for 41 yards and caught one pass for 20 yards.
Buffalo Bills (34-14 win over the Raiders)
- Nick O’Leary, TE: Recorded one catch for five yards.
Carolina Panthers (17-3 win over the Buccaneers)
- Kelvin Benjamin, WR: Recorded three catches for 39 yards and a touchdown.
- Graham Gano, K: Hit a 28-yard field goal and both extra point attempts.
Chicago Bears (12-20 loss to the Saints)
- Eddie Goldman, DT: Recorded four tackles.
- Christian Jones, LB: Recorded seven tackles.
Cleveland Browns (16-33 loss to the Vikings)
- Roderick Johnson, OT: Placed on IR.
Denver Broncos (play on Monday night)
- DeMarcus Walker, DE: N/A
- Menelik Watson, OT: N/A
Jacksonville Jaguars (bye week)
- Rashad Greene, WR: Placed on IR.
- Jalen Ramsey, CB: N/A
- Telvin Smith, LB: N/A
Kansas City Chiefs (play on Monday night)
- Cam Erving, OT: N/A
- Terrance Smith, LB: N/A
Los Angeles Rams (bye week)
- Lamarcus Joyner, CB: N/A
Miami Dolphins (0-40 loss to the Ravens)
- Lawrence Timmons, LB: Led the team with 13 tackles.
Minnesota Vikings (33-16 win over the Browns)
- Dalvin Cook, RB: Placed on IR.
- Xavier Rhodes, CB: Recorded four tackles and a pass deflection.
New Orleans Saints (20-12 win over the Bears)
- P.J. Williams, CB: Played, but did not record any stats.
New York Giants (bye week)
- Bobby Hart, OT: N/A
- Travis Rudolph, WR: N/A
New York Jets (20-25 loss to the Falcons)
- Terrence Brooks, S: Recorded two tackles.
Oakland Raiders (14-34 loss to the Bills)
- Mario Edwards Jr., DE: Recorded two tackles and a QB hit.
- Rodney Hudson, C: Started along the offensive line.
- Sebastian Janikowski, K: Placed on IR.
- EJ Manuel, QB: Did not play.
Philadelphia Eagles (33-10 win over the 49ers)
- Nigel Bradham, LB: Recorded five tackles and one pass deflection.
- Ronald Darby, CB: Did not play as he continues to recover from injury.
- Timmy Jernigan, DT: Recorded two tackles and one QB hit.
- Patrick Robinson, CB: Recorded two tackles, one tackle for loss, and one pass deflection before leaving with an injury.
Pittsburgh Steelers (20-15 win over the Lions)
- Vince Williams, LB: Recorded eight tackles.
San Francisco 49ers (10-33 loss to the Eagles)
- Tank Carradine, DE: Placed on IR.
- Dekoda Watson, LB: Recorded two tackles.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-17 loss to the Panthers)
- Javien Elliott, DB: Recorded two tackles.
- Garrison Sanborn, LS: Handled long snapping duties.
- Jameis Winston, QB: Completed 21/38 passes for 210 yards and two interceptions.
Washington Redskins (19-33 loss to the Cowboys)
- Dustin Hopkins, K: Placed on IR.
- Chris Thompson, RB: Rushed for 18 yards and caught eight passes for 76 yards, but also fumbled a kickoff return.