- With the loss, Florida State falls to 9-1. They are now ranked 25th at kenpom, after beginning the year 55th. Last year’s team began a more hopeful 39th (top 40 teams have a great chance to get an at large bid to the Dance), and after 10 games they were 9-1 and ranked 25th at kenpom.
- If you’re looking for a smoking gun as to why FSU lost, tune in to the 13:50 mark of the first half. After a slow start, the Seminoles ripped off a 7-2 run capped by a thunderous putback dunk from Mfiondu Kabengele to take a 14-11 lead. On the other end, Kabengele swatted a weak shot off the backboard and the ‘Noles were off and running. With a 2-on-1 break, Terance Mann had Kabengele for an alley oop, but lobbed the pass too high. Turnover. On the next possession MJ Walker drove middle and lost the ball at the rim out of bounds (to be fair, he got hammered but the refs were letting them play). Turnover. FSU scored on the next possession after a beautiful drive and dish from Forrest, but then went right back into turnover mode. Kabengele got trapped in the high post, and from there he is supposed to look opposite, where he would have found an open MJ Walker (who was screaming ‘Fi!’). Forrest and Braian Angola were both pointing at Walker. Instead, Kabengele tried to dump it over the double team and FSU lost the ball in a scramble. Turnover. The next trip down the court Kabengele missed a wild shot, and then on the following possession MJ Walker tried to go coast-to-coast and had his pocket picked. Turnover. The next time down, CJ Walker teamed up with Braian Angola to execute a beautiful back cut against and over aggressive defense, but Angola took three steps before laying it in. Turnover. On the next trip the normally steady Terance Mann ignored an uncovered CJ Walker in the corner, and instead tried an awkward forced lob to Kabengele. Turnover. The next possession Trent Forrest backed up out of a trap and stepped on the midcourt line. Turnover. That’s seven turnovers in nine possessions, at a time when Florida State really had an opportunity to step on Oklahoma State.
- Lost in the loss, was the huge game by Terance Mann. He scored 20 points, and grabbed 14 rebounds. He’s now scored in double figures in all but one game this season. His 14 rebounds were the most by a Seminole since Jonathan Isaac’s 15 last year against Notre Dame.
- Florida State continues to be extremely disruptive on defense. It was the 4th time this season that FSU recorded double digit steals, and the defense is now 16th nationally, getting a steal on 12% of opponent possessions.
- FSU lost 71-70 in a 77 possession game. Florida State’s defense did their part, holding OSU to their 2nd worst output of the year. It was FSU’s first 1-point loss since losing at Florida in 2013.