The No. 8 Florida State men’s basketball team once again found a way to win on Saturday, edging the Syracuse Orange to improve to 21-4 on the season. But finding ways to win is nothing new to Seminole head coach Leonard Hamilton, who passed another milestone when the ’Noles notched their 20th consecutive home win.
Already the winningest coach in FSU program history, Saturday saw Hamilton pass Georgia Tech’s Bobby Cremins and move into fifth place, solo, with his 355th victory among ACC coaches. How’s this for elite company:
- Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (1,080)
- Dean Smith, North Carolina (879)
- Roy Williams, North Carolina (464)
- Gary Williams, Maryland (461)
- Leonard Hamilton, Florida State (355)
- Bobby Cremins, Georgia Tech (354)
And that’s not the only prestigious ACC top-5 in which Hamilton finds himself. He’s also No. 5 regarding conference wins, among the same legends.
- Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (502)
- Dean Smith, North Carolina (422)
- Roy Williams, North Carolina (231)
- Gary Williams, Maryland (210)
- Leonard Hamilton, Florida State (166)
Excepting Hamilton, every one of the above coaches has his home court named for him. Well, Smith doesn’t— the whole building bears his name. Something tells me Hamilton’s signature will eventually transcend his effect on the program and make its way to the Tucker Center hardwood as well.