Update: FSU remains No. 8 in both the AP and Coaches Polls.
Alright, so this is gonna take a minute. And that’s exactly why college basketball in February is so fantastic.
The AP’s top-four teams solidified their positions atop college hoops. No. 1 Baylor not only won at Texas, it took down No. 14 West Virginia in Waco. And No. 2 Gonzaga handled its business against Pepperdine. Also, No. 3 Kansas won at WVU before topping Oklahoma. And yes, No. 4 San Diego State remained undefeated by taking down New Mexico and Boise State.
After that, it gets a little weird. So why not embrace it?
No. 5 Louisville fell back to a three-loss ACC record by dropping games at both Georgia Tech and at Clemson. No. 8 Florida State lost at No. 7 Duke, but there’s no shame in coming up short at Cameron Indoor. Quality loss, right? The Cardinals should dip below FSU in the polls after the Seminoles beat Syracuse.
But the ’Noles got some real help behind them in the polls. Although No. 9 Maryland will pass them after notching victories against Nebraska and at an underrated Michigan State team, No. 10 Seton Hall went 0-2, and the perpetually overrated No. 11 Auburn Tigers will take a hit after being bettered at Missouri. Justice!
No. 12 Kentucky held serve by winning at Vandy and in Lexington vs. Ole Miss, as did No. 13 Penn State at a good Purdue team and vs. Northwestern.
Then it gets tricky.
- The No. 14 Mountaineers are gonna drop— even with their two losses this week coming against top-3 teams (tough break, ’Neers), losing is losing; West Virginia is one of the country’s best defensive teams, but WVU is now .500 in Big 12 play
- No. 15 Villanova snagged a nice win vs. No. 18 Marquette, so the Wildcats will climb
- No. 16 Colorado lost no respect by falling at No. 17 Oregon, and then the Buffs eviscerated Oregon State in Corvallis.
And then there’s just a ton of carnage. Marquette shouldn’t fall too far from 18th after losing at ’Nova, especially since so many teams behind it lost.
- No. 19 Butler fell at Georgetown
- No. 20 Houston was edged at SMU
- No. 21 Iowa dropped a game at Indiana
- No. 22 Illinois went 0-2 vs. the Spartans and Scarlet Knights
Surprise bright spot! No. 23 Creighton posted a big victory at No. 10 Seton Hall and then bettered DePaul. There’s a rise deserved here.
Rounding out the top 25, both No. 24 Texas Tech and No. 25 LSU split vs. unranked teams. The Red Raiders won vs. TCU and then lost at Okie State, while the Tigers beat their fellow cats from Mizzou before falling at Alabama.
Long-story short, FSU has a good chance of remaining around a top-10 team, maybe top-12. Be sure to check back later, when we update this piece as the polls are released.
Turning to KenPom, the Seminoles are down to No. 22, overall, after coming in at 19th a week ago. The offense fell from 38th to 40th, while the defense rose from 19th to 18th. The NCAA’s NET rankings have Florida State at No. 13, right where it was a week ago.