It was all good just a week ago.
Florida State Seminoles basketball, after a six-game winning streak that included wins vs. Miami (twice) and Duke, is on a two-game losing skid that’s consisted of back-to-back double-digit losses to the team occupying the bottom of the ACC standings.
The most recent was to Virginia Tech, who went absolutely unconscious from the three-point line, shooting a ridiculous 72% in an 85-72 loss.
FSU’s efforts to stay on the right side of the bubble will begin again tonight vs. Clemson, who themselves are on a hot-shooting streak.
“We’re going on the road against a Clemson team that is very similar to Virginia Tech in that they shoot the ball extremely well — They’re the second-best three-point shooting team in the conference.” FSU head coach Leonard Hamilton said of the Tigers, who are shooting roughly 39% from the three this season. “We know we have our hands full and we need to be at our very, very best.”
Despite the shooting prowess, the Tigers have won just one of their last five games, a home matchup vs. Pitt. Clemson is 7-2 playing at home this season.
That’s where FSU vs. Clemson will tip off tonight at 7 p.m., with the game set to be broadcast on the ACC Network.
According to DraftKings, the Seminoles are 3 point underdogs to Clemson.
Game notes, via FSU
ALUMNI WEEKEND SET FOR FEBRUARY 4-6, 2022
Florida State will honor its illustrious history and past players as it welcomes back former coaches, players, managers and administrators to its bi-annual Men’s Basketball Reunion February 4-6, 2022. Head Coach Leonard Hamilton, his staff and the FSU Varsity Club welcomes back approximately 70 former Seminoles for a weekend of friendship and remembrance. For more reservation information contact the FSU Varsity Club at (850) 644-1123.
SEMINOLES TO HONOR GEORGE MCCLOUD WITH JERSERY CELEBRATION
George McCloud, the first NBA Draft Lottery selection in school history in 1989, will become the seventh player in school history to have his jersey (No. 21) honored and hung prominently displayed in the Donald L. Tucker Center on February 5 during the Seminoles’ game against Wake Forest. McCloud was twice named to the All-Metro Conference First Team and was named the Metro Conference Most Valuable Player in 1989. He averaged 13.5 points during his career as a Seminole (1986-89) and was a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award which recognizes the nation’s top player. McCloud enjoyed a productive 12-year career in the NBA.
FLORIDA STATE TRAVELS TO PLAY AT CLEMSON WITH A WINNING RECORD ON THE ROAD IN ACC PLAY
With victories at NC State (January 1, 83-81), at Syracuse (January 15, 76-71) and at Miami (January 22, 61-60), Florida State enters its game at Clemson with a 3-2 record on the road in ACC play. The Seminoles are one of four teams in the ACC with winning conference road records through the first half of conference play. Florida State (3-2) is joined by Miami (3-1), Duke (2-1), Notre Dame (3-2) as the four ACC teams with winning conference records away from their home arenas. Florida State is 18-14 (.563 winning percentage) in ACC road games during the last three seasons.
FLORIDA STATE AGAINST THE CURRENT TOP TWO TEAMS IN THE ACC STANDINGS
Florida State is 3-0 against Miami and Duke – the two teams who currently occupy the top two spots in the ACC standings. The Seminoles won both ends of the season series against Miami (64-65 in Tallahassee on January 1 and 61-60 in Coral Gables on January 22) and defeated Duke in overtime (79-78 in Tallahassee on January 18).
FLORIDA STATE’S WINNING WAYS
Florida State has won eight of its last 11, seven of its last 10 and six of its last eight overall games since a 97-60 win over Lipscomb on December 15. In ACC play, the Seminoles have won five of their last six and of six of their last eight since an 83-81 win over NC State in Raleigh in January 1. Florida State is 2-1 in their last three ACC road games with wins at Syracuse (January 15, 76-71) and at Miami (January 22, 61-60).
LOOK FOR FLORIDA STATE TO…
…Defeat Clemson and win its seventh ACC game of the season. It would mark the school-record 17th consecutive season the Seminoles have won at least seven conference games under Leonard Hamilton — (2021, 11; 2020, 16; 2019, 13; 2018, 9; 2017, 12; 2016, 8; 2015, 8; 2014, 9; 2013, 9; 2012, 12; 2011, 11; 2010, 10; 2009, 10; 2008, 7; 2007, 7; 2006, 9);
…Defeat Clemson and win its fourth ACC road game of the season. The Seminoles were 6-4 on the road in ACC play in finishing with a 16-4 overall record in ACC play and won the ACC championship with a 16-4 record in 2020;
…Defeat Clemson and gain a win at Littlejohn Coliseum for the third time in the last six seasons. The Seminoles most recently earned victories at Clemson in the 2017 and 2019 seasons and have 14 wins at Clemson since first playing there on December 18, 1959.
Game notes, via Clemson
• PJ Hall is one of the most improved players in the ACC this season. Hall is +11.3 in PPG, +4.1 in RPG, +1.5 in APG and nearly +1.0 block per game. Hall has increased his 3-point shooting by nearly 20.0 percent and despite the increased work load is shooting 47.5 percent this season, including a 51.4 effective field goal percentage. Hall totaled his third double-double of the season against Duke: 14 points and 10 rebounds. Hall has three 22-point games this season and one 20-point game. He has grabbed a career-best eight boards three times this season.
• Hunter Tyson is enjoying a career season in 2021-22 averaging career bests in points (10.8), rebounds (5.8), assists (1.3), shooting (46.9 percent) and free throws (77.4 percent). • Clemson is second in the ACC and is 13th nationally in 3-point shooting: 38.7 percent (169-for-437).
SERIES HISTORY VS. FLORIDA STATE
• Clemson and Florida State will match up for the 79th time in program history.
• Clemson and Florida State have split the last four meetings. The Tigers have won two-out-of-the-last-three in the series.
• The Tigers are 22-13 all-time against Florida State in Littlejohn Coliseum.in the series with a 75-48 win on Jan. 22.
• It was the largest ACC win for the Tigers since Feb. 3, 2019 – a 64-37 win over Wake Forest.
• The 27-point margin was tied for the highest win margin under Head Coach Brad Brownell.
• The Tigers’ 27-point victory margin was tied for the eighth-largest in program history in ACC games, and tied for the fifth-largest in an ACC home contest.