Bud Elliott and Ingram Smith return with another episode of The Nolecast. The Florida State Seminoles seem likely to be in need of a new defensive coordinator for 2018, since its defensive unit is arguably the most underachieving in the nation given its talent, experience, health, and quality of opposition faced.
We have received so many questions about the potential hire from FSU fans, that we decided to evaluate all of the names. We broke it down into three categories: 1) “Absolutely not”, 2) “Maybe/Can’t rule it out”, and 3) “Realistic/desirable.”
Listen to the show at this direct link, or in the player found below this article.
These candidates do not make sense in at least one of the following areas: experience, age, connection, recruiting, or cost.
- Jim Leavitt, Oregon DC
- Alex Grinch, Washington State DC
- Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington DC
- Jimmy Lake, Co-Washington DC
- D.J. Eliot, Colorado DC
- Rex Ryan, former NFL HC
- Tosh Lupoi, Alabama DE coach
- Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama DC
- Les Miles, former head coach
- Brent Venables, Clemson DC
- Don Brown, Michigan DC
- Todd Orlando, Texas DC
- Derrick Brooks, NFL HOF
- Randy Shannon, UF HC
- Bob Diaco, Nebraska DC
- Kane Womack, South Alabama DC
- Dave Huxtable, NC State DC
- Mel Tucker, UGA DC
- Erik Chinander, UCF DC, two years DC experience, formerly LB coach at Oregon and prior Philly NFL DL coach (assistant)
- John Heacock, Iowa State DC (he’s 57)
- Manny Diaz, Miami DC
- Bud Foster, VT DC
- Mike Elko, ND DC
- Ted Roof, GT DC
- Brady Hoke, Tennessee interim DC
- Aaron Henry, NC State DB coach
- Kevin Kane, NIU DC
- Vic Koenig, Troy DC, formerly Clemson DC
- Pete Golding, UTSA DC, played in Louisiana and coached in LA and Mississippi
- Bo Pelini (if only for the faux twitter acct)
- Wade Phillips, LA Rams DC
- Dean Hood, Kentucky OLB
Maybe/can’t rule it out
These are the candidates suggested by listeners that if hired would likely do a good job, but seem unlikely candidates either due to a lack of experience, excessive age, lack of recruiting ability or ties to the Southeast, or a lack of tie to Fisher.
- Mike London, Howard HC
- John Chavis, Texas A&M DC
- Corey Raymond, LSU DB coach
- Glenn Schumann, ILB Coach for UGA. He is a Bama coaching tree and his grandfather was on FSU’s 1st football team and started the FSU circus.
- Bob Shoop, Tennessee DC, did great work at Vanderbilt and PSU
- Tony Pecoraro, So. Miss DC
- Daronte Jones, Miami Dolphins DB coach
- Brian Jean-Mary, USF DC, formerly Texas and Louisville LB coach under Charlie Strong
- Harlon Barnette, Michigan State co-DC and DB coach, was a GA at LSU under Fisher in 2003
- John Papuchis, UNC DC 2017, LBs 15-16, Nebraska DC 2012-14. Three years at LSU under Fisher.
- Chad Glasgow, TCU DC
- Tim Derutyer, Cal DC
- Brian Flores, Patriots Safety/LB coach
- Torrian Gray, Redskins DB coach, UF 2016, VT DB coach for a decade under Foster, from Lakeland, 43yo
- Travis Jones, Seattle DL coach, LSU DL coach 03-04
These are coaches listeners suggested about whom we’ve actually heard informed chatter.
- Derrick Ansley. Alabama DB coach 16-17, GA 2010-11. 2 years with Stoops 13-15. ~35yo. $395K, final 2017
- Kevin Sherrer, UGA LB coach, 375K, 2017 is final year
- Travaris Robinson, South Carolina DC, 750K, one year left on deal
- Todd Grantham, Mississippi State DC $700K