Bud Elliott and Ingram Smith return with another episode of The Nolecast to discuss two new happenings: the completion of Willie Taggart’s Florida State Seminoles coaching staff, and the release of the schedule.
Listen to the episode in the player below the article, or at this direct link.
HC Willie Taggart, OC/QB Walt Bell, RB Donte’ Pimpleton, WR David Kelly, TE Telly Lockett, OL Grey Frey, DE Mark Snyder, DT Odell Haggins, LB Raymond Woodie, DC/DB Harlon Barnett, ST/DB Alonzo Hampton
- Significant upgrade
- Coaching grades are stupid as hell. I am an expert and I don’t feel good about doing them. Why? It’s explained on the show.
- 10yrs younger on average -- good thing.
- We were right about staff composition because of common sense. 5 on offense, 5 on defense. 4 on O, 6 on D made zero sense. Offensive coaching more important anyway due to difference in team game.
- Will Bell call plays? No but he will work ahead. For more on Bell, listen to the last show.
- Dave Kelly, WRs, and why it should work.
- Recruiting: Dominate Florida, do OK in Georgia relative to the new GA expectations
- Old staff… how many are on staffs? Randy HC at a DII, Brewster/Graham at A&M, Kelly at Tennessee, Trickett, Lawing, Miller, Dawsey as of yet are not hired. Odell stayed, strength coach also didn’t get kept.
- Virginia Tech -- Could be a shootout
- @ Syracuse -- Scorefest
- @ Louisville -- No Lamar, Depleted defense
- @ Miami -- Should be pretty good
- Wake Forest -- Loses QB, but otherwise should be solid. Good to get them at home.
- Clemson -- Seems very tough.
- @ NC State -- Will probably take a step back, especially on defense which loses 9/11 starters
- @ Notre Dame -- Offense might step back, defense will be BA
- Boston College -- Should be strong and improved from last year. This is a game you don’t want to play on the road.
- UF -- Should be improved
- FSU did not get “screwed.” It has Notre Dame and then the 2 toughest cross-division opponents this year. Nothing the ACC can do about that, it is set years in advance.
- Great start to build confidence
- Bye week seems like more of a regroup bye week than a specific prep bye week, but it is close enough to Clemson.
- Sandwich game: at NC State
- Clemson cakewalk. Triple option GaSo before playing Georgia Tech. GT/Duke are their cross-divisional.
- Miami gets extra rest before playing FSU by virtue of playing a Thursday nighter hosting UNC.
Way-too-early record prediction.