Jan. 16 Update: It’s been reported that quarterback James Blackman may be headed toward the transfer portal, and that receiver George Campbell and tight end Naseir Upshur are already there.
Jan. 15 Update: Yesterday was the deadline to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft. Since we’ve neither heard anything else from players, personally, nor received press releases from FSU or spotted anymore social media posts making announcements, we’re comfortable assuming that those eligible for the draft who’ve remained quiet will retain their amateur status, either at Florida State or elsewhere. Check below to see whom that includes.
Jan. 9 Update: Quarterback Deondre Francois says he’ll stay at Florida State.
Dec. 21 Update: Defensive back Levonta Taylor is coming back to FSU.
Dec. 17 Update: Linebacker Dontavious Jackson will return to Florida State.
Dec. 3 Update: Defensive end Brian Burns has decided to turn pro, skipping his final year of eligibility.
Now that Florida State’s 2018 season has come to an unceremonious end, it’s time to look ahead to next year. Specifically: which Seminoles will be returning, and which ’Noles have worn the garnet and gold for the final time. Of course, some players have no choice, as their amateur eligibility has been used up.
Here’s who we know is gone:
Definitely departing (expired eligibility)
- OL Arthur Williams
- RB Jacques Patrick
- DB A.J. Westbrook
- TE Johnathan Vickers
- OL Alec Eberle
- DT Fredrick Jones
- DE Adam Torres
- OL Derrick Kelly II
- WR Nyqwan Murray
- DT Demarcus Christmas
- DE Walvenski Aime
Below are the guys who could have turned pro, but elected to return to FSU. Note: the classifications listed are those of players now that the 2018 season has ended.
Returning to college ball
- Redshirt-senior WR George Campbell (transfer portal)
- Redshirt-junior DE Janarius Robinson
- Senior CB Kyle Meyers
- Redshirt-junior DB Carlos Becker III
- Senior P Logan Tyler
- Senior RB Amir Rasul
- Redshirt-senior LB Adonis Thomas
- Senior K Ricky Aguayo
- Senior TE Gabe Nabers
- Redshirt-junior DT Cedric Wood
- Senior LB Josh Brown
- Redshirt-junior OL Baveon Johnson
- Redshirt-junior LB Emmett Rice
- Redshirt-junior OL Landon Dickerson
- Redshirt-senior OL Cole Minshew
- Redshirt-junior OL Mike Arnold
- Redshirt-junior OL Jauan Williams
- Redshirt-senior OL Abdul Bello
- Senior TE Naseir Upshur
- Senior WR Keith Gavin
So, the question becomes: who remains in Tallahassee next year? We’ll update this piece, as news breaks, under the headings below.
Foregoing remaining eligibility to go pro
- As expected, defensive end Brian Burns is headed for the league (Dec. 3).
Others electing to remain at FSU
- Redshirt-senior QB Deondre Francois says he’ll be back with the ’Noles:
- Senior LB Dontavious Jackson is coming back to FSU:
I have decided to NOT enter my name in this years NFL Draft. I will remain at Florida State to continue pursing my degree & to get back to to work with my brothers. God Bless. #DoakBoy pic.twitter.com/03LQJBpJT8— Dontavious Jackson (@DJACKV_) December 17, 2018
- Senior DB Levonta Taylor is returning as well:
Transferring from Florida State
We’ll keep you posted (see those noted above).
In the Transfer Portal
Remember, simply entering the transfer portal does not mean a player is leaving. It just means that he’s able to hear from other programs. Below are the players either in the portal or reportedly heading that way.
- Redshirt-sophomore quarterback James Blackman (this may have never come to fruition)
- Redshirt-senior receiver George Campbell
- Senior tight end Naseir Upshur
- Senior running back Amir Rasul
The Seminoles may certainly be looking to bolster their roster with some experienced talent, and we’ll include any additions here.