Bud Elliott and Ingram Smith return with the 37th Nolecast episode of 2018. The Nolecast is the No. 1 Florida State Seminoles podcast.
Show notes are as follows, roughly in order
In the first of our Nolecast position previews, we tackle the defensive back and running back groups. FSU is loaded at both spots.
- Details on each position coach: Harlon Barnett, Donte Pimpleton
- Details on the new scheme
- And the rundown of the players at each spot.
Listener questions answered
- If teams come out in a 5 receiver set, who’s the 5th DB?
- Why is a bigger DB like Samuels a better fit at the safety position in this defense than someone like Taylor? Seems like manning up a slot receiver would be better suited for a shorter quicker player and you’d want the length on the outside. Particularly against a team like CU.
- Over/Under 49.5 for Nole DBs S&P havoc ranking?
- In your opinion, is it better to combat today’s offenses with more of a S/LB type player at the star position or the Saban model? Obviously, if you have a player like Ramsey/Woodbey, it doesn’t matter but curious to hear your thoughts in general on the topic. Love the pod!
- Is it better to have your corners be great cover guys and average tacklers or average cover guys and great tacklers in this scheme?
- Do Kyle Meyers and AJ Westbrook finish the season as starting CB and Starting Safety as they are slotted preseason.
- How wide is the gap between Akers and Laborn? Any chance of 4 eclipsing 3 as the go to guy in this system?
- Do you expect the rb’s to be used in any crazy, unexpected formations? Akers at qb?
- How many passes does Akers throw this year? Seriously though, does the QB or Laborn have more rushing yards through Sept.?
- Say the Noles average 50 running plays a game, sacks not included, how are you splitting up the carries? QB runs are included.
- Could Cam Akers be an NFL starter right now?
- 1. Does Patrick get relegated to a more traditional 3rd down short yardage/goal line back with these other backs on roster
- Buy or sell there will be more than 70 Running back receptions on the year?