The 2019 regular season is winding to a close, with just two weekends left.
[Horizontal lines indicate tiers, in addition to being horizontal lines]
1. Clemson (11-0, 8-0 ACC) Aggregate Rank: 1; Movement: None
Is it 2021 yet? Also, Trevor Lawrence called himself “Touchdown Jesus” for a school assignment, so somebody fire up the DeLorean, I can’t take this any longer.
2. Virginia (7-3, 5-2 ACC) AR: 2.41; Movement: None
The Cavaliers seem to have a pretty good grip on the ACC’s Coastal division but the final week against Virginia Tech could decide the division.
3. Miami (FL) (6-4, 4-3 ACC) AR: 3.91; Movement: Up one
For the second week in a row Miami climbs up the rankings. And they did it this week without even playing! What is happening?!? Have we gone insane?
4. Wake Forest (7-3, 3-3 ACC) AR: 4.16; Movement: Down one
Miami’s aggregate ranking improved from 4 to just 3.91 while Wake’s fell from 3.91 to 4.16. But hey, that’s what two straight losses will do to you.
5. Florida State (6-5, 4-4 ACC) AR: 5.75; Movement: None
FSU is bowl eligible for the first time since 2017!
6. Pitt (7-3, 4-2 ACC) AR: 6.33; Movement: Up one
Pitt and Virginia Tech play this weekend. Despite being in close to a three-way tie with Virginia, the Panthers and the Hokies are still somewhat split by our voters. But we also have another switcharoo with Pitt and UNC switching spots.
7. North Carolina (4-6, 3-4 ACC) AR: 6.58; Movement: Down one
But I mean, come on — you’re 4-6. You don’t get to complain. Wait, how are you this high?
8. Louisville (6-4, 4-3 ACC) AR: 7.33; Movement: None
Louisville has quietly come a long way under Scott Satterfield.
9. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (6-3, 3-2 ACC) AR: 8.83; Movement: Up one
Despite 46 million of you about to be eaten, you’re still somehow continuing to climb up the board. For real though, the Hokies were once 2-2 with losses to Boston College and Duke. Since then they’ve won 5 of their last 6, with the lone loss a one-point defeat on the road against Notre Dame.
10. Duke (4-6, 2-4 ACC) AR: 10.5; Movement: Down one
Meanwhile, the Blue Devils were once 4-2 and have now lost four straight with three of them by multiple touchdowns each. They also made Bud Elliott’s list of the most disappointing teams in the country this week. They were nine point favorites and lost by a whopping 43.
11. NC State (4-6, 1-5 ACC) AR: 10.91; Movement: None
The Wolfpack are holding steady, but it’s still a season to forget in Raleigh.
12. Syracuse (4-6, 1-5 ACC) AR: 11.5; Movement: Up one
Syracuse and Boston College are the fourth pair of teams to swap places this week. However, they are just reversing the switch they pulled last week. Syracuse is coming off of a shocking blow out of Duke where they won 49-6, but they lost to BC just a few weeks ago. Such is the ACC’s Wheel of Destiny.
13. Boston College (5-5, 3-4 ACC) AR: 11.83; Movement: Down one
Despite having a better record than the three teams ahead of them, the Eagles find themselves holding one spot above last place. They even beat Syracuse and NC State heads up! Nothing matters when you play in the ACC!
14. Georgia Tech (2-8, 1-6 ACC) AR: 14; Movement: None
How do you put an entire program in rice?
Honorable Mention: Arkansas
I know they say woo pig sooie or something like that but...woof, they’re bad.