Think Urban Meyer is gonna remain in the studio? Because professional handicappers think you’re wrong, and they’re willing to bet on it. SportsBettingDime.com is offering 2/3 odds that Meyer is on a college sideline come 2020— and Florida State makes the shortlist of destinations on which you can wager.
Odds Urban Meyer is named head coach for the 2020 season:
- USC: 7/2
- Tennessee: 5/1
- Florida State: 9/1
- Nowhere: 3/2
- FIELD: 8/1
Meyer coached Florida to national titles in 2006 and 2008 and Ohio State to another in 2014. Of course, for him to be hired, Willie Taggart would have to be fired. And he’s now the odds-on favorite to be the first coach canned in 2020, odds that have spiked after FSU’s 1-2 start in 2019. Season-opening odds are included in parentheses.
Odds to be first coach fired in 2020:
- Willie Taggart, Florida State: 4/1 (19/1)
- Randy Edsall, UConn: 6/1 (8/1)
- Charlie Strong, USF: 7/1 (not rated)
- Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee: 8/1 (not rated)
- Chris Ash, Rutgers: 12/1 (15/1)
- Lovie Smith, Illinois: 14/1 (19/1)
- Brent Brennan, San Jose State: 18/1 (12/1)
- Steve Addazio, Boston College: 20/1 (90/1)
- Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech: 25/1 (35/1)
- Clay Helton, USC: 32/1 (6/1) -- he’s only a longshot because there’s no left AD to fire him
- Chip Kelly, UCLA: 40/1 (150/1)
- Chad Morris, Arkansas: 60/1 (40/1)
- Gus Malzahn, Auburn: 150/1 (18/1)
- Kalani Sitake, BYU: 500/1 (75/1)
As we’ve stated, Taggart’s dismissal after this season seems unlikely, since he’ll have only been at FSU for two years and has a significant buyout.
But if we’re playing the hypothetical game here, Seminoles, how would you feel about Meyer at the helm of Florida State football?