The Florida State Seminoles were in pads for the first time this spring:
TN’s Brett Nevitt was on the ground, once again, and he put together this highlight package.
Here are some observations from FSU’s third practice:
- Offensive line coach Alex Atkins is focused on every little detail with the OL. He makes a point of walking them through every single step of their blocks:
Alex Atkins coaching up the OT’s. pic.twitter.com/3yrrf7ZTUQ— Tomahawk Nation (@Tomahawknation) March 12, 2020
- We also saw an “Oklahoma” multi-tier drill with high intensity from coaches and players:
Having a little fun in the pads pic.twitter.com/1LqGgwjGXy— Tomahawk Nation (@Tomahawknation) March 12, 2020
- Long-time defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews was in attendance.
- Florida State’s quarterbacks practiced throwing on the run and worked on back shoulder throws, as well.
- When going live, the QB’s have very little time to throw (water is also wet).
- The running backs worked hard on blocking and training their eyes to find the correct hole to run through.
- Freshman RB Ja’Khi Douglas looks good early.
- Meanwhile, Anthony Grant still looks out of shape after missing last season.
- Tamorrion Terry had a couple of punishing blocks in the Oklahoma drill.
- Early enrollee WR Bryan Robinson continues to stand out this spring. He did a nice job this morning shielding defensive backs from the ball.
- A couple of redshirt freshmen flashed: Malcolm Ray bull-rushed his way into the backfield, while Quashon Fuller looked lively off the edge.
- Massive interior lineman Robert Cooper stood out on multiple occasions.
- Amari Gainer did a nice job shedding blocks in the second tier of the Oklahoma drill.
- The safeties were focused on recognizing QB arm angles for intermediate/deep passes.
- We’ve pointed out how ball-security has been a major focus this spring. Today, the defensive coaches were stressing “high and tight” to their guys, as well.
- Another major emphasis was special teams, specifically blocking and proper gap integrity.
Here is a photo gallery from Brett: