The Wolfpack have been the pinnacle of consistency under head coach Dave Doeren. The story every year looks much the same. The defense usually carries much of the load as they coast to seven to nine-win seasons. However, they’ve never quite turned the corner on a year with double-digit wins, but this season looks like it could be different.
That's mainly because of the guy taking snaps behind center. Devin Leary has looked really sharp in his first full season back after dealing with health issues in his first couple of years on campus, but how does NC State utilize a kid of his talents?
For those visual learners out there here is a video discussing all of the points listed below with narrated film:
- very horizontal offense- base run is outside zone
- uses that horizontal action to set up counters and RPOs
- ultimately wants to take shots downfield to Devin Carter or Emeka Emezie
- runs a fair amount of mesh concept to get Leary in rhythym
While the offense has some big-time skill players, the strength of this team is its defense.
- aggressive 3 down defense
- throws lots of zone blitzes at the offense
- solid in pursuit- prioritizes speed on the field
- susceptible to one on one matchups and shots against the spot drop zone looks
This is a solid team whose defense will present FSU with some issues. If the ‘Noles can manage to move the ball downfield with the running game then they should be able to outpace the ‘Pack but if they have to rely too heavily on restricting Leary then FSU might be in trouble.