Today was the Florida State Seminoles first day practicing with the scout team in preparation for week one against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish on September 5th. There were a lot of different scout team players mixed in and very few times the first team Seminoles actually went against each other during the two-hour session.
The first portion started indoors with quarterback Jordan Travis handing the ball off to running back Lawrence Toafili for about six yards and then another up the middle for no gain. The drive ended with a catch by wide receiver Andrew Parchment on a short dig route for about six yards after a five-yard penalty backed the offense up.
- Aside from a big run by running back Treshaun Ward, not much happened offensively for quarterback Chubba Purdy’s drive. Defensive back Jarques McClellion got him a touch sack blitzing up the middle.
- Moving outside, a couple of nice catches were made from wide receivers Ontaria Wilson, Joshua Burrell, and Keyshawn Helton in one on one’s with the defensive backs.
- The team did a full 11 on 11 and in the first play running back Jashaun Corbin rammed it up the middle for a first down. On the next, Jordan Travis changes the play at the line of scrimmage and gets flushed by incoming defensive end Kier Thomas. He escapes but has to throw away to Ontaria Wilson with Brendan Gant in close coverage. Travis hands it off to Treshaun Ward and he springs a big run down the sideline for a first down. After that, Jordan Travis with time in the pocket tries to launch a bomb at receiver Darion Williamson but it was broken up.
- Another play that stood out was Jordan Travis on the move (after being flushed out by Keir Thomas) finding Jashaun Corbin just beyond the front pylon. The would-be touchdown was ruled incomplete because either the ball touched the ground or Corbin wasn't completely inbounds when he caught it.
- A major improvement from camp today was wide receiver Andrew Parchment. Granted he was going against the scout team but was able to catch and score on two 35 yard passes from Travis on go routes and would’ve had another but his route was thrown off a bit at the line of scrimmage, he caught it and stepped out of bounds. Wide receiver Joshua Burrell had a nice catch in this portion of practice.
- Defensive back Renardo Green got real physical on one occasion laying the boomstick on a scout team player knocking him out of bounds and had a couple of really nice pass break-ups on the day.
- Tomorrow’s practice we will have interviews with Mike Norvell and select players afterward and on Sunday there will be a mock game with no media availability.