Although the Florida State Seminoles seemingly have been trying really hard to start 0-3 for a few years running (even dating back to Jimbo Fisher’s last season (2017) when the Noles’ started 0-2 before finally beating Wake Forest in Winston-Salem)), they haven’t lost the first three games since 1976, which coincidentally was Bobby Bowden’s first season as head coach.
Pre-Game Coverage from Tomahawk Nation
‘Nole Radio Network
Game notes, via Seminoles.com
- Florida State opens its 30th season of ACC play Saturday, traveling to Wake Forest for an afternoon kickoff on ESPN. This is the fourth time Florida State has played Wake Forest in the Seminoles’ ACC opener and first time the conference opener is in Winston-Salem.
- Since joining the ACC for the 1992 season, Florida State is 18-11 (.621) in its first ACC game of the season, including 7-6 (.538) when opening conference play on the road.
- The Seminoles lead the all-time series over the Demon Deacons 30-7-1. The FSU-Wake Forest series dates back to 1956 and was played every season from 1992-2019. FSU’s 30 wins over Wake Forest are tied for the most by the Seminoles against any current ACC program.
- Florida State has rushed for at least 200 yards in three consecutive games for the first time since 2012. FSU ended last season with 324 yards on the ground vs. Duke, then opened the 2021 campaign with 264 rushing yards vs. No. 9 Notre Dame and totaled 202 yards rushing vs. Jacksonville State.
- The Seminoles rushed for 264 yards in their season opener vs. No. 9 Notre Dame, the program’s most rushing yards against a ranked opponent since totaling 287 yards on the ground vs. No. 10 Clemson on Sept. 22, 2012.
- FSU’s rushing yards total vs. No. 9 Notre Dame was the 4th-highest total in the ACC and 18th nationally in the season’s opening weekend.
- Florida State’s defense held No. 9 Notre Dame to six rushing yards after halftime as the Fighting Irish gained two yards on the ground in the third quarter, one in the fourth quarter and three in overtime. Florida State limited Notre Dame to 65 total rushing yards on the night, a 288-yard improvement from last season’s game when Notre Dame rushed for 353 yards.
- The Seminoles rank 2nd in the ACC and 9th in the NCAA with an average of 4.5 sacks per game, led by Jermaine Johnson II’s 2.25 sacks per game that are 1st in the conference and rank 2nd nationally. Johnson also leads the nation with an average of 3.5 tackles for loss per game, pacing the Noles’ 8.5 TFLs per game that rank 17th nationally.
- Florida State’s defense is holding opponents to an ACC-best 2.34 yards per rush, an average that is 18th nationally.
FSU vs. Wake Forest Game Threads:
Please move to the FIRST QUARTER THREAD as we approach the 3:30 p.m. Kickoff.
At the end of the first quarter, please move to the SECOND QUARTER THREAD.
After halftime, the cool kids will be meeting at the THIRD QUARTER THREAD.
When the third quarter ends, please move to the FOURTH QUARTER THREAD.