- Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com released a scouting report of FSU DB Derwin James, noting his best attributes, where he needs to improve and key takeaways. James is currently a 60/1 odds favorite to win the 2017 Heisman Trophy, highest among defensive players in the country.
What I liked: James has outstanding size, speed, explosiveness and versatility. He's shown tremendous range when aligned in the deep half or deep middle (see pass breakup against Clemson). He can cover ground quickly and locate the ball once he arrives (see INT vs. Ole Miss). He's been used as an outside linebacker at times and he's a dynamic pass rusher. He can win with pure speed or a devastating inside counter move. James has the agility to match up with tight ends in man coverage and he possesses the makeup speed to recover if he gets out of position.
Where he needs to improve: James' lack of ball production is a bit of a concern. He has only one interception in his brief career. If he can stay healthy for a full season, I firmly believe his ball production will drastically improve. I'd also like to see him show more consistent effort as a backside run defender. He has some loafs on tape and that's unusual for big-time safety prospects. This should be an easy fix.
- State of the U released its X&O Preview of the Week 3 matchup between FSU and Miami.
- Sports Illustrated’s compiled a list of the top 10 College Football games from the past 10 years. Omitted from the list was the 2013 National Championship game between Florida State and Auburn. Do you think that game should be included in the list?
- David Hale of ESPN went off the board to find five ACC players that could lead the conference in each stat category for the 2017 season.
Will Lincoln Riley be the next Jimbo Fisher or the next Ron Zook? A fun look at coaches who replaced school legends. https://t.co/7kJCT2MjxF— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) June 8, 2017
- Four-star WR Tommy Bush visited Florida State on Thursday. The lengthy receiver from Schertz (Tx.) Samuel Clemens stands in at 6’4.5 180 lbs. and is ranked the No. 164 overall prospect and No. 32 receiver according to 247 Composite Rankings.
- In Baseball America’s All-America teams, Florida State pitcher Tyler Holton was named a second team All-American. Holton went 10-2 with a 2.22 ERA this past season in 105 innings pitched.
- In Draft Express’ latest 2017 NBA mock draft, former Florida State hoops players Jonathan Isaac and Dwayne Bacon are drafted at No. 6 overall and No. 55 overall respectively. In the mock draft, Isaac would be heading to the Orlando Magic with Bacon going to the Utah Jazz.