Florida State Seminoles football is slated to return six running backs in 2019, though attrition of at least one should be expected. The Seminoles should be looking to sign one running back recruit in the 2019 class, maybe two. Here is a general rundown of the position. It is obviously very early in the process.
Note: This list is relevant, realistic offers. For example: If FSU offers a California back who has already committed to USC and is a legacy of the Trojans, we won’t waste your time listing him unless the player shows a real interest.
- Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Fla.): The Port St. Joe (80 miles SW of Tallahassee) native is a physical beast at 5’11 and 216 pounds. Some believe he is the top RB in the nation. He plays for a Tallahassee-area 7v7 team that also features the son of LB coach Raymond Woodie. Sanders is a top target for the Seminoles. He decommitted from Alabama, but is still high on the Tide. Florida took his brother as a walk-on.
- Nay’Quan Wright, Opa Locka (Fla.) Miami Carol City: Wright has some of the best sophomore film you’ll see at the running back position but injured his knee his junior year. He appears to have recovered well from the injury and FSU offered him on March 1st.
- Derrian Brown, Atlanta (Ga.) Buford: ’Nole fans will remember FSU signed another running back out of Buford in the 2018 class. Brown is listed at 5’11 and 174 pounds but runs with power and a 1-cut running style that always has him falling forward on contact.
- Khafre Brown, Charlotte (N.C.) West Mecklenburg: The wiry Brown did visit FSU’s summer camp last summer. Brown is long and explosive.
These are prospects who FSU has not yet offered, but whom may have the requisite talent and fit for FSU’s system.
- George Johnson III, Stuart (Fla.) Martin County: Johnson has good size at 5’11, 180, and he catches the ball extremely well for a player who mostly plays QB in high school. FSU is high on him and could offer this fall.
- Knowledge McDaniel, Bradenton (Fla.) Braden River: McDaniel is an excellent prospect with a compact 5’10, 210-pound build and great balance. Willie Taggart is from Bradenton Fla., so you can bet McDaniel will get a visit. He also catches the ball better than you might expect for a back of his build.
- Daniel Carter, Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas: Carter is a star running back for St. Thomas Aquinas, so if FSU feels he can play in its offense, he’ll be sure to get an offer as STA is a major school.
- Keshaun King, Orange Park (Fla.) Oakleaf: King holds multiple Power 5 offers and has visited Florida State before.
- Jalen Mitchell, Rockledge (Fla.) Rockledge: Mitchell has a strong, compact build and has been racking up offers.
- Ja’Tarie Washington, Pahokee (Fla.) Pahokee: Washington is seriously athletic and could also play defensive back.
- Tye Edwards, St. Augustine (Fla.) Menendez: Edwards is pretty athletic and will be evaluated as a senior. He has excellent size as well. Auburn, Alabama, and UGA have offered per his profile. 6’2, 215. He didn’t play as a sophomore and played only four games at RB as a junior, having played defense until the starting RB went down. In those four games he put up 1,000+ yards.
This piece will be updated as needed.
4/26: Added: Nay’Quan Wright, Derrian Brown, Keilan Robinson | Removed: Cesare Mellusi | Updated: Quavarious Crouch, Sean Dollars
5/16: Removed: Sean Dollars after learning FSU would not be taking a commitment from him if it did not come with one from QB Jayden Daniels. Added: George Johnson III as a potential target. Note: Trey Sanders tells me that he plans to visit FSU on May 26.
6/27: Notes: George Johnson III committed to Michigan. We don’t believe he was a take for FSU at the time he wanted to commit, but FSU will continue to evaluate him come fall. ... FSU is optimistic that it will get Trey Sanders back on campus in July or August, but knows that Alabama is now back in the picture along with Florida. The Gators took Sanders’ JUCO LB brother as a walk-on. Removed: Ealy, who is probably going to be a top-10 pick in the MLB draft.
6/28 Added: Tye Edwards, a 6’2, 210-pounder who has a very impressive highlight tape. He picked up an Auburn offer earlier, and FSU’s coaches are now following him on social media. I expect Edwards to blow up. Removed: Robinson (committed to Alabama)