Florida State Seminoles football is slated to return seven linebackers in 2019, although attrition of at least one should be expected.
Linebacker is one of two positions where FSU didn’t meet their needs in the 2017 or 2018 class (QB is the other). The ’Noles should be looking to sign at least four linebackers, especially if one’s a JUCO. This is a 2019 position where most of the elite players had relationships with a staff for a long while, so FSU doesn’t have an in with many elite players. For that reason, it really needs bodies.
Here is a general rundown of the position.
- Jaleel McRae, IMG Academy (Fla.): McRae visited Florida State for the spring game where he was offered and he committed immediately. McRae is an active recruiter for FSU.
- Kalen Deloach, Savannah (Ga.) Islands: Elite level athlete and a big, aggressive hitter. Deloach is a true sideline-to-sideline linebacker. Michigan and Auburn are still in hot pursuit.
Note: This list is relevant, realistic offers. For example: If FSU offers a California athlete who has already committed to USC and is a legacy of the Trojans, we won’t waste your time listing him unless the player shows a real interest. Early on in the year, more long-shots will be included as we learn the staff’s recruiting strengths.
- Derick Hall, Gulfport (MS): Hall is a huge (6’4) linebacker. Auburn and Mississippi State are the biggest competition for Hall.
- Trezman Marshall, Homerville (Ga.) Clinch County: Big, athletic prospect who plays a number of positions for his high school, including quarterback. Marshall is a Georgia commit, but has visited Tallahassee multiple times.
- Avery Huff, Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas: Huff is an excellent linebacker prospect and absolutely fits what FSU wants in the position. Huff is a recent transfer to STA. FSU offered Huff on February 13. He is a Miami commit, but will be taking a visit to FSU.
- Lakia Henry, Vidalia (Ga.) Dodge City C.C. Henry is a 4-star JUCO linebacker with good size, who’s currently committed to Tennessee. FSU has recently expressed interest.
- Lee Kpogba, Winston Salem (NC) Parkland: Kpogba is committed to Syracuse, but if FSU decides to turn up the heat, it could land him.
- James Gordon IV, Plant City (Fla): Gordon can definitely pull the pin and go. Minnesota has been good at identifying and offering players early. Gordon is a high academic kid. Gordon is not sure of his visit plans.
- Kevon Glenn, Hampton (Ga.) Dutchtown: Glenn has some intriguing offers like N.C. State, Virginia, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Georgia Tech. He is not signing early, so look for an official to FSU in January.
These players do not yet have offers, but they could potentially fit what FSU is looking for at the position.
- Jordan Richo, Yulee (Fla.): Richo has visited FSU several times this fall.
11/27: Added: Henry.
11/28: Added: Gordon
12/3: Moved: Gordon to the offer list. Changed number of returning linebackers from 8 to 7.
12/10: Added Kevon Glenn