Florida State baseball’s Matheu Nelson has heard his name called in the 2021 MLB Draft. Nelson has been selected by the Cincinnati Reds with the 35th overall pick. Nelson will join Buster Posey and Cal Raleigh as active Seminole backstops in professional baseball.
With the 35th overall pick, the @Reds select @FSUBaseball catcher Matheu Nelson, No. 40 on the Top 250 Draft Prospects list.— MLB Draft (@MLBDraft) July 12, 2021
Watch live: https://t.co/0xWeUlR8KJ pic.twitter.com/afhWfGhStG
Nelson had a historic 2021 season. The catcher led the country with 23 home runs and was top 10 in the country with 66 RBI. He also hit .330 with 64 hits in 55 games. The catcher led the Seminoles with 17 doubles and 50 runs scored. He showed off his arm by throwing out 16 attempted base-stealers.
Here is a list of all of Nelson’s accomplishments in 2021.
- 2021 ACC Player of the Year
- 2021 Perfect Game/Rawlings National Player of the Year
- 2021 NCBWA District Player of the Year
- 2021 Buster Posey & Johnny Bench Award Winner (Best Catcher)
- Unanimous First Team All-American (ABCA, Baseball America, NCBWA, Perfect Game, Collegiate Baseball, College Baseball Foundation, D1Baseball)
- 2021 First Team All-ACC
- 2021 ABCA/Rawlings First Team All-Region
- 2021 Dick Howser Trophy Finalist
- 2021 Golden Spikes Award Semifinalist