The Florida State Seminoles had an interesting weekend from all over the college athletics world. In-state rival the Miami Hurricanes have been on a whirlwind in the coaching carousel with rumors about who’s in who’s out, coaching hires and coaching fires, and what to do about hiring a new coach publicly while they still have one. After some more news in recruiting, a victory— and a loss in basketball, there was something for everyone this weekend.
- Quarterback McKenzie Milton will play one more collegiate game representing the Noles in the Hula Bowl:
- Cornerback Omarion Cooper earned the Devaughn Darling freshman of the year award:
Omarion “Duke” Cooper IM EXTREMELY PROUD OF YOU‼️ Thank You for representing Lehigh Lightning and Florida State Football in an OUTSTANDING WAY…. @OmarionC2 @manualevans4 @CoachDixon2 pic.twitter.com/xzXJQ39yOj— COACHCHANEY.COM (@coachchaney96) December 4, 2021
- Clemson lost their defensive coordinator Brent Venables to Oklahoma:
- Meanwhile, in a wild rollercoaster of ups and downs there have been tons of rumors spreading around about who will take the (presumably) open head coaching position at Miami:
If true, this is the most disrespectful and dysfunctional leadership I’ve seen. You’ve got coaches on the road selling YOUR university! Total embarrassment! Drop a set, call the man in, keep him or fire him, but don’t conduct business in such a dishonorable manner.— Gene Chizik (@CoachGeneChizik) December 5, 2021
With the turmoil in Coral Gables, there is a lot of speculation on which recruits will stay committed and which will leave. Miami currently holds the 52nd class in the country for 2022.
- 4-star Tyre West and 3-star defensive linemen Aaron Hester both took official visits this weekend and FSU tight end Carter Boatwright hit the transfer portal:
Thank you Florida State— Carter Boatwright (@carter_boat) December 5, 2021
Romans 8:31 pic.twitter.com/JwrkJEc4AN
- For more information on recruiting and the transfer portal new check out FSU Football: OFFICIAL Tribe ‘22 Recruiting Thread #23 and the Florida State Seminoles Transfer Portal Thread #3.
- The men’s basketball team dropped their season opener to the Syracuse Orange 63-60 on Saturday snapping the Seminoles 25 ACC at-home win streak and now look ahead to the South Carolina Gamecocks on the 12th.
- Women’s basketball defended their home turf with a win over Charlston Southern 83-32 and look ahead to a road game at Florida on December 12th.
- No. 1 ranked women’s soccer defeated no. 5 Rutgers 1-0 to advance to the NCAA championship game:
- Midfielder Jaelin Howell was also nominated for the ACC Young Female Player of the Year:
The future is bright— U.S. Soccer WNT (@USWNT) December 5, 2021
Introducing the nominees for the @ChipotleTweets Young Female Player of the Year:
More ≫ https://t.co/uVE9RHOKgi pic.twitter.com/bYzcdd0qLc
- Florida State will play the winner of the BYU vs. Santa Clara semifinal and depending on the victor of that game their next game will be on either Sunday or Monday at 8 p.m.
- Women’s volleyball fell to Nebraska in the second round 3-0:
FINAL: Nebraska defeats FSU 3-0.— FSU Volleyball (@FSU_Volleyball) December 5, 2021
This team has put forward a great foundation for the future. We can't wait to see what things we have in store
Thank you to everyone. It was a great season.#NCAAVB | #URStrong
- Women’s softball shared their Christmas spirit: