Florida State Seminoles soccer, having already completed a perfect regular season and ACC title conquest in 2020, now stands on the verge of wrapping things up with its third national title in seven years.
The Seminoles have had to grind out a path to the College Cup final, outlasting not just Duke in penalty kicks in the Elite 8, but Virginia in the Final Four as well. The main issue so far on the pitch has been an inability to convert chances, a sure-to-be frustrating fact for a team that was previously scoring goals at will.
From our Prince Akeem Joeffer’s preview of the game:
FSU has been in a bit of a scoring slump. Florida State hasn’t scored since the 69th minute of the Sweet 16 game against Penn State - and that was a penalty kick. FSU hasn’t scored in the run of play since the 62nd minute of the Penn State game. That is 248 minutes without a goal in the run of play. The Seminoles need to find a way to break out of this slump because they can’t count on blanking the potent Bronco offense.
FSU also needs to be ready to play from the opening whistle. In recent games against Duke and Virginia the Seminoles seemed to ease their way into the game. That won’t cut it against Santa Clara because the opportunistic Broncos have the firepower up top to get ahead quickly if the Noles are a bit sluggish early.
Catch his full breakdown, from keys to the game to players to watch on either end to a game prediction, here.
How to Watch
Stats and facts from FSU Sports Info
- Freshmen goalkeeper Cristina Roque has had an incredible freshman season in goal.
- She has held FSU’s opponents to just seven goals in 15 games this season and she has saved 79 percent of shots that have come her way.
- Roque shined in the brightest of moments in the NCAA Quarterfinal, saving the first Duke attempt in PKs, leading the Seminoles to their 11th College Cup. Roque did it once again in the College Cup against Virginia. Roque held the Cavaliers scoreless with five saves throughout regulation and overtime. In penalty kick she did not allow a single goal in three attempts with two saves.
- The Seminoles continued their success in penalty kicks on May 9 against Duke, which marked their sixth consecutive penalty kick victory across ACC and NCAA Tournaments.
- Overall, Florida State has a combined record of 10-3 all-time in postseason penalty kicks - including a record of 8-1 under head coach Mark Krikorian - and earned the 2011, 2015 and 2016 ACC Championship by way of PKs.
NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY
- 66-17-5 in the NCAA Tournament
- Two National Championships
- 18-2 in the second round
- 14-3-1 in the third round
- 9-4-2 in the quarterfinals
- 4-6-1 in the semifinals
- 2-2 in the finals