Despite falling short of a seventh straight ACC title last weekend, the Florida State Seminoles softball team was still rewarded for a standout regular season by earning the No. 10 national seed and the right to host regionals.
Through two games in the Tallahassee Regional, the Seminoles are 2-0, facing off against UCF today for the right to advance to Super Regionals.
FSU Softball: NCAA Tournament results
Game One vs. Kennesaw State: 6-2
From Prince Akeem Joeffer:
Florida State has been winning games this season but the Seminoles have been doing it with a lot of small ball. That was the case again today as FSU scored four runs in the big fifth inning while barely getting a ball out of the infield. However, at this stage the only thing that matters is winning and FSU will gladly advance to the winner’s bracket with this victory.
Game Two vs. UCF: 3-0
From Prince Akeem Joeffer:
FSU is now the only team in the winner’s bracket. The Noles have a great advantage in that they only need to win one more game to advance to the Super Regionals. They also have the rest of the afternoon off while their opponents in the Tallahassee Regional have to battle it out to advance.
How to Watch
Game notes and stats via FSU Sports Info
- Florida State is a combined 40-16-1 against their opposition this weekend. FSU is 18-11-1 against Auburn, 20-5 against UCF and 2-0 against Kennesaw State.
- Florida State played both Auburn and Kennesaw State twice earlier this season in a tournament hosted by Auburn. The Seminoles went 3-1 that weekend earning two wins against Kennesaw State and splitting their two games against Auburn. The last time FSU and UCF met was in 2020 when the Seminoles won 8-3.
- Florida State enters the 15th week of the 2021 season ranked No. 9 by USA Softball and No. 8 by the NFCA. The Noles have been ranked in 123 consecutive polls by USA Softball.
- Florida State had six student-athletes earn All-ACC Honors. Sydney Sherrill led the back being named the ACC’s Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight team. She was joined on the All-ACC First Team by Devyn Flaherty and Kathryn Sandercock. Caylan Arnold was selected to the second team and Kalei Harding and Dani Morgan were selected to the third team. Flaherty and Harding were also named to the All-Freshman Team.
- Through 50 games this season, the Seminoles have shown their speed recording 104 stolen bases in 116 attempts. Devyn Flaherty and Elizabeth Mason lead the Noles with 16 stolen bases.
- The Seminole offense has scored 259 runs in the first 50 games of the season. This has come as the Seminoles have put together 107 total extra-base hits, including 39 home runs and 63 doubles to go with five triples. Kalei Harding is leading the way with nine doubles, three triples, and five home runs
- Caylan Arnold and Kathryn Sandercock are leading the Seminole pitching staff. They have combined for 31 wins and 218 strikeouts. Arnold leads Florida State with 214 strikeouts and Sandercock leads the team with a 1.20 ERA and a 22-2 record.
- The Florida State pitching staff has combined for a 1.71 ERA good for 7th best in the country.